Mandriva One on Inspiron B130 [solved]

mbluesucks

I have had windows xp on my system since i got it. I want to dual boot and the partions are not the problem. I downloaded the iso image and burned it to a cd and it boots up fine. But right before its loads, i get a error that says:

"Kernal panic -not syncing: UFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown -block(8,6)"

does anyone know what this means? after that message nothing happens.

You can download a program called md5summer for use in Windows. You need to get the md5 file from the ftp site that you downloaded your CD's from. They are just text files with the md5sum in it, so you check what the CD has against what's in the text file, and then if it matches, you're OK.

That thread which daniewicz linked to contains links for windows.

However, if you don't like downloading and running exes for windows, or you want to run it on something other than windows, you can use java instead.

<ShamelessWebsitePlug>

You can get a java version from my website (12k jar) which allows you to generate the md5 sum from your iso and check it against what you expect.

</ShamelessWebsitePlug>

ok i got an iso that works and the live cd works. i want to go ahead and install it and i have a partition that dell set up called back up i backed up all that information on a cd and want to format the partition, since it is ntfs and linux needs fat32. windows wont let me format it and i really cant do anything with the live cd to the partitions. is there any good free software out there that will let me partition it? i dont really feel like spending $50 on the acronis suite

You could:

• just leave it there - linux can ignore it (it can read your other ntfs partitions ok too)
  • use a tool like qtparted, which is very probably on the live cd you have
  • Just go ahead with the install - part of the install process includes setting up the partitions

If you want to dual boot (ie keep your windows) then it's probably not necessary to delete this Dell partition, unless you're really short of hard drive space. Or are you trying to avoid resizing the windows partition?

Just to clarify, Linux doesn't need FAT32. You would only use FAT32 if you want to share files between Windows and Linux. NTFS is read-only in Linux, therefore you can only copy files from Windows to Linux, you can't copy files from Linux to Windows unless you use FAT32.

Linux won't be installed on the FAT32 partition, you would have to create Linux native partitions using one of ext2, ext3, reiserfs, xfs, etc. I've not used the Live CD, but the installer normally has a partitioner within it allowing you to resize the Windows partition, and then create your partitions for Linux after this. You might have to choose Custom Partitioning though to achieve this.

I usually just use the Mandriva 2006 disks, so I know this is possible with these. I'd have to check/test the Mandriva One CD first to see if it's possible with this, but I'm sure it would be.

since nothing is on the backup partition i thought that i would just put linux on that and not worry about shrinking the windows partition. I only have like >10 gigs on the windows partition and the backup partition has more room so i figure that is the best place for it. I got a linux book that says that i should put linux on a fat32 system and i would want to save all my open office files and such on the partition that linux is on and just keep linux on D: and Windows on C: and just whenever i need windows boot windows and whenever i need linux boot linux.

No, don't put Linux on a FAT32 partition. That book is giving bad advice. The OS will be installed to a native partition format that is Linux. You then create another separate partition for FAT32 where all your shared files will exist. This will purely be a data partition and not for the operating system.

No, don't put Linux on a FAT32 partition. That book is giving bad advice.

Very bad advice indeed! FAT32 doesn't support file permissions and since Linux requires the ability to set file permissions, trying to install it on a FAT32 partition would end up in a complete mess.

Now, having a FAT32 partition to share between the two installs is a good idea - but it wouldn't have linux installed in that partition.