Linux-ntfs 3g

scarecrow

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.p...p;forum_id=2697

Still in developmental stage, as you can see... so what's the news?

The news are that it's working flawlessly ( just tried it with big 8.5G DVD images), and very, very fast!

The only issue is that the partition free space isn't reported properly yet, but this isn't much of an issue.

This is part of ntfs-fuse?

Yes, so it resides exclusively in userspace (which is a good thing). The old code has been completely revamped, and the results are impressive, to say the least.

Compilation is very simple.

Edited by scarecrow

• 5 weeks later...
Guest koko`kranc

can u please tell me how u did it? i tried almost everrrrrything.... tried captive ntfs, and this one too... but when i tried to install them, they need FUSE... i tried to install fuse, but it refuses to install because it says it cannot find kernel.... i tried giving it --with -kernel=/boot but it doesnt recognize it too.... whats the problem? is the kernel somewhere else? or is my kernel not supported? please... i need to have write access to my ntfs volumes..... my 450 gb of videos and music are in 4 partitions, all ntfs... i dont want to convert it to fat32 because its pain in the ass... i lost 40gb of videos once in a fat32 drive...

can u please make a manual?

btw im using mandriva 2006 free

That didn t work, I got a bit impatient and asked @the ntfs irc channel, they said the option wasnt necessary, I should autodetect locale anyway if you have locale properly set up....

You can normally find out what's setup by default in the /etc/sysconfig/i18n file it will show the locale in here. I found this once on a RHEL system, as I was having problems with mc, and edited this file to remove the utf8 from the end, and then mc displayed correctly after that.

But if it's not important for setting, no worries :P

btw im using mandriva 2006 free

urpmi fuse sounds like a plan (it's present in the Mandriva main repo).

ntfs under Linux isn't safer than using FAT32 (no metafdata handling), but there's no 4GB filesize limit, and also less slack space for large sized partitions.

And also the kernel source for your kernel (the stripped version works fine btw and is a lot smaller), you can also urpmi the kernel source.

Edited by ffi