LILO and 9.1 rc1

RedTurtle

I have installed mdk 9.1 rc1 and i also have XP running but something is wrong with LILO as i dont get the option to boot windows just something like this:

linux

linux-nonfb

failsafe

floppy

I have messed around with LILO and edited some lines but it obviously didn't work as i still have the same menu, LILO looks like this now:

boot="/dev/hda"

map=/boot/map

vga=normal

default="linux"

keytable=/boot/pt-latin1.klt

prompt

nowarn

timeout=50

message=/boot/message

menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw

image="/boot/vmlinuz"

label="linux"

root="/dev/hdc1"

initrd="/boot/initrd.img"

append="quiet devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off"

vga=788

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux-nonfb"

root=/dev/hdc1

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off"

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="failsafe"

root=/dev/hdc1

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="failsafe devfs=nomount hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off"

read-only

other=/dev/fd0

label="floppy"

unsafe

other=/dev/hda1

label="XP"

table=/dev/hda

image="/dev/hda1"

label="xp2"

root="/dev/hdc1"

read-only

I have two disks organised like this:

hda - small partition just for the boot manager

hda5 - windows XP

hdc5-FAT partition

hdc1- linux /

hdc7-/home

So, i was wondering if someone could tell me what did i do wrong in that lilo.conf file.

You posted your lilo.conf upthere. You have 2 entries for the same partition. Furthermore, as you specified it, there is nothing on /dev/hda1.

I would erase

other=/dev/hda1 

label="XP" 

table=/dev/hda 

image="/dev/hda1" 

label="xp2" 

root="/dev/hdc1" 

read-only

and put what Ixthusdan said instead... Ie:

other=/dev/hda5

label="XP" 

table=/dev/hda

Don't forget to run 'lilo -v' everytime you change /etc/lilo.conf

I don't understand why you made a small partition for the boot loader .. ??? The MBR is perfect for that no ?

MOttS

I don't understand why you made a small partition for the boot loader .. ???  The MBR is perfect for that no ?

redturtle might be aiming for the setup wherein you can reinstall windows to your heartscontent and it wont be able to erase your bootloader because its not placed in the MBR. i tried doing that and failed miserably. :(

but when i did that i placed in the /boot partition that i reserved just in case i would want to triple-boot.

ciao!

redturtle might be aiming for the setup wherein you can reinstall windows to your heartscontent and it wont be able to erase your bootloader because its not placed in the MBR. i tried doing that and failed miserably. :(

Wait a minute. I thought the bios look at the MBR of the ide you choose in the bios. So it looks everywhere on your HD for a /boot partition ?

So is RedTurtle should put boot="/dev/hda1" then ? .. because lilo actually write its info in the MBR when one write boot="/dev/hda" on top of lilo.conf. And now, how does he erase all the info that are in the MBR right now so that it is blank and the bios looks somewhere else (hda1) ?

.. or I still don't get it .. which is possible.. lol

:?:

MottS

i dont really understand it all either. all i know is that a very techno-geekette at the local linux mailing list is doing it and she encouraged me to do the same because i keep on reinstalling win9x frequently to satisfy my brother (before i posted my reinstall in 5 minutes with partimage tip ) and thus have to hunt for the installation discs to restore lilo.

all i understand is that when you specify another partition as the boot partition it sticks. lets see if somebody with more knowledge reinforces/refutes it.

ciao!

all i understand is that when you specify another partition as the boot partition it sticks. lets see if somebody with more knowledge reinforces/refutes it.

Let's wait...

BTW, didn't know Partimage could write the MBR. I keep restoring/imaging between MDK, Gentoo and Debian and I always have to use their corresponding boot disk and then reinstall lilo. :-( Is that a new option ? I use a Partimae boot cd that is about a year old.

MOttS

well, thanks for the help guys, but after trying all sorts of combinations i have given up and reinstalled both XP and mdk. i got rid of that first partition and put linux in the first partition of the second disk and it all works well now.

redturtle might be aiming for the setup wherein you can reinstall windows to your heartscontent and it wont be able to erase your bootloader because its not placed in the MBR. i tried doing that and failed miserably

yes, it makes two of us :)

BTW, didn't know Partimage could write the MBR.  I keep restoring/imaging between MDK, Gentoo and Debian and I always have to use their corresponding boot disk and then reinstall lilo. :-(  Is that a new option ?  I use a Partimae boot cd that is about a year old.

MOttS

i remember partimage having an option to not have it backup the MBR (or to disable it if its the default option. all i know is that i chose to go to the dont touch the MBR bit because i do the reinstallation of windows from linux as it only takes me 5 minutes. :#:

ciao!

i remember partimage having an option to not have it backup the MBR (or to disable it if its the default option. all i know is that i chose to go to the dont touch the MBR bit because i do the reinstallation of windows from linux as it only takes me 5 minutes

Personnaly I never backup/restore my Windows partition because I'm pretty much never in that OS. However I checked my Partimage boot cd and there is an option. If I click the option the partimage will backup/restore the MBR. If I let it unchecked (default) then the MBR isn't backup/restore. Thanks for pointing that out ! .... I'll check the box next time I backup a partition so that when I'll restore it the MBR will be restored too.

MOttS