A booting problem [solved]

Halone

Hello,

I am new to this forum so I am sorry if I did a procedure error or posted my quesion at the wrong place.

I am using Mandriva linux 2006 on a dell dimension 8400 with a dual boot with windows XP and it has been working pretty well for 8 month. But for some reason I didn't use my computer on the XP side for 2 month. When I started to need windows again I noticed that it was completely bugging and full of virus. I cleaned it so it work perfectly again. But as I restarted my computer to go on the mandriva side, although it started normally ( mandriva starting screen normal ), when I arrived to the session login screen it was black, only leaving the command line to let me login. How can I make it normal again and access to mandriva, KDE and all my programms ? It is really a problem because I am manly working on mandriva and will start university soon. It would be really nice if you could help me.

Halone

At the command line, become the root user (enter the su command, then enter root password when prompted).

Enter the command: XFdrake

Select the last menu choice, which is: Options

You will be asked if you want to start the graphical server at boot. Select the Yes option.

When you restart, your graphical environment should be restored.

----

Also note that if you boot to the command line, you can start the graphical environment by issuing the command as your normal user: startx

This will take you into your X graphical environment but for that session only, it is not a permanent fix like the method above.

Hi and welcome to mandrivausers.org, Halone! :)

Not that I can add anything to what jboy said, but just so you know Mandriva carried me through to almost all uni years and I graduated this month. I did all the assignments, etc. with it with no problems at all, so Linux is quite good for students. :) (ok, except multimedia students).

Let us know if what jboy said works for you.

Thank you for your solution jboy. But it didn't work. And even when I tried to temporarily get into X with my normal session, it displayed a huge error message. Maybe it could help you if I gave you the exact way the booting happens:

1. The first screen is the dell screen with a very quick progression bar -normal

2. The second screen is where I can (graphically) choose between mandriva 2006, mandriva 2006 classic mode, mandriva 2006 failsafe mode and windows XP -normal

3. The third screen deplays a progression bar with written on it (traduction from french, sorry if it is wrong) "starting system, click esc for detailed mode", the wallpaper is the same as the second screen (a penguin with mandriva linux written) -normal

4. The fourth screen is a very quick and white screen with the nvidia logo (my graphic card is an nvidia) written on it which I never saw before - not normal

5.Then the console (or at least I think it is the console) appears with a mandriva logo on the down right and it is written:

Mandriva linux release 2006.0 (Official) for i586 kernel 2.6-12mdksmp on a dual processor i686/ttyt

Kromlech login:_ (Kromlech is the name of my computer and I don't have a dual core processor)

I can access to XFdrake and set the options as you told me but it didn't change anything. And when I try to put startx it display this huge error message:

X Window System Version 6.9.0

Release Date: 21 December 2005

X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.9

Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.3-31mdk-i686-up-4GB i686 [ELF]

Current Operating System: Linux Kromlech 2.6.12-12mdksmp #1 SMP Fri Sep 9 17:43:23 CEST 2005 i686

Build Date: 05 June 2006

Before reporting problems, check http://www.wiki.X.Org

to make sure that you have the latest version.

Module Loader present

Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,

(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,

(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.

(==) Log file:"/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Tue Jul 11 22:54:02 2006

(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"

using vt?

The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:

>Warning: Type "ONE_LEVEL" has 1 levels, but <RALT> has 2 symbols

> Ignoring extra symbols

>Error: bad length in CompatMap

> Output file "/var/tmp/server-0.xkm" removed

Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server

Could not init font path element unix/:1, removing from list!

Fatal server error:

could not open default font 'fixed'

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support

at http://wiki.X.Org

for help

Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.

XIO: fatal I0 error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ¨:0.0"

after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

[ken@kromlech~]$ _

I thank you for helping the newbie I am in the linux world.

Well I never had mandrake 9.2. I installed mandriva 2006 with the DVD for 32 bits processor. Maybe I made an error when I copied the message but I was quite careful not to rewrite it wrong. I 'll check it again. But I didn't do any kernel manipulation I just installed as the manual told me. How, do you think, did it come to that ? And how do you think I can fix my problem ? Again thank you for everything

PS: Mandriva has been working perfectly for months.

Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.3-31mdk-i686-up-4GB i686 [ELF]

Current Operating System: Linux Kromlech 2.6.12-12mdksmp #1 SMP Fri Sep 9 17:43:23 CEST 2005 i686

Don't worry about this. Your running kernel is 2.6.12-12mdksmp, the reference scarecrow made was to the build operating system, which isn't related to your machine whatsoever, but to the compilation of xorg it seems.

The nvidia white logo is completely normal if you're using nvidia drivers. You would never have seen before when using the default nvidia driver with Mandriva 2006.

Can you post the contents of /etc/X11/xorg.conf so we can see what you have in here.

You can do this if you want to load into gui:

kwrite /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and then you can copy and paste the whole file. If you want to do in a console window instead then:

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

will output it to the screen, a bit like the MS-DOS "type" command. You can then scroll up and copy/paste the whole lot using the mouse. However, when config files are large, you can sometimes miss some of it.

In this instance, using kwrite is good, or you can use:

less /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and then use Page Up/Page Down to move through the file and copy it in sections. Kwrite wins for me though to get it all in one go nice and easy.

4. The fourth screen is a very quick and white screen with the nvidia logo (my graphic card is an nvidia) written on it which I never saw before - not normal

Si tu aurais le <<splash screen>> NVIDIA c'etait une probleme avec le configuation de le serveur X.

Fatal server error:

could not open default font 'fixed'

c'etait le location des fonts qui as changer est en fait ca changait avec le transition entre les serveurs Xfree (l'anciene) et Xorg (le neuveau) tu pourrias faire une config de base avec

xorg -configure qui fera un <<xorg.conf>> base ?

tu peux modifier le config base avec the pilote NIVIDA en place de nv ... et reinstaller le pilote nvidia vers http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

In fact I can't access to mandriva graphically (so I can't do anything), this is my problem. So I won't be able to copy and paste anything and post it on this forum (no firefox in the console). What I 'm doing is that I 'm writing it on paper and going back to the windows XP side to copy it manually and post it.

Does the "less" code work alone (I just have to do that) or do I have to write it after the "cat" code ?

Thank you so much

Merci Gowator, mais j'ai pas tout à fait compris ce qu'il fallait faire, que signifie faire une config de base avec xorg ? Et je ne comprend également pas tout à fait l'étape suivante où je doit modifier la config de base ?

Désolé mais je suis vraiment perdu, j'ai de la peine avec la console

In fact I can't access to mandriva graphically (so I can't do anything), this is my problem. So I won't be able to copy and paste anything and post it on this forum (no firefox in the console).

Si tu utilse le operateur de > comme :

startx > startx.log tu creer une fiche et si tu aurais une partition partagee', un clef USB etc. tu peux collier ce logfile ....

Mais ... avec startx tu a une fichier log par defaut ... qui est dans /var/log/Xorg.0.log :D

Merci Gowator, mais j'ai pas tout à fait compris ce qu'il fallait faire, que signifie faire une config de base avec xorg ? Et je ne comprend également pas tout à fait l'étape suivante où je doit modifier la config de base ?

Désolé mais je suis vraiment perdu, j'ai de la peine avec la console

En fait ... si tu est dans une <<console>> avec un login root

Xorg -configure

est viola tu auras un mode d'utilisation comme

To test the server, run X -config /root/xorg.conf.new

essaye avec ce commande ....

s'il marche viola

faire une copie de l'originale avec

cp /etc/X11/Xorg.conf /etc/X11/Xorg.conf.originale

et

cp /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

il demande oui ou non.... donc dira oui

reassaye avec

startx

et viola tu as une config base qui marche.

Alors tu as le possibilite de utilise firefox avec et d'etre connecter de faire les copies et de utilse les utils ou reinstallera le pilote nvidia ... mais je espere que c'est seulement une problem aved lss fonts ou precisemente avec ces location.

No, less is just used as per my command listing above. It's two different commands in total to achieve more or less the same job. cat is one command, and less is the other. ;)

FOR GOWATOR:

Gowator, j'ai essayer de faire "to test the server..." mais quand je le fait l'écran (pas l'ordinateur mais l'écran lui-même) me dit "Input not supported". Je comprend vraiment pas ce que ça signifie. Pourrais-tu une fois de plus m'éclairer de ta lanterne ?

FOR IANW1974:

ianw1974, I have written down the content of etc/X11/xorg.conf here:

# File generated by XFdrake

# ************************************************************

# Refer to the XF86Config man page for details about the format of

# this file.

# ************************************************************

Section "Files"

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)

# By default, Mandrake 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of

# the X server to render fonts.

FontPath "unix/:-1"

Endsection

Section "ServerFlags"

# DontZap # disable <Ctrl><Alt><BS> (server abort)

AllowMouseOpenFail # allows the server to start up even if the mouse does not work

#DontZoom # disable <Ctrl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> (resolution swirching)

EndSection

Section "Module"

Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension

Load "v4l" # Video for linux

Load "extmod"

Load "type1"

Load "freetype"

Load "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so"

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Keyboard1"

Driver "keyboard"

Optiom "XkbModel" "pc105"

Option "XkbLayout" "fr_CH"

Option "XkbOptions" compose:rwin"

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Mouse1"

Driver "mouse"

Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"

Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"

Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"

EndSection

Section "Monitor"

Identifier "monitor1"

VendorName "Generic"

ModelName "Flat Panel 1280x1024"

HorizSync 31.5-67

VertRefresh 50-75

# TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output.

# 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync

Modeline "768x576" 50.00 768 832 846 1000 576 590 595 630

# 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync

ModeLine "768x576" 63.07 768 800 960 1024 576 578 590 616

EndSection

Section "Device"

Identifier "device1"

BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce 6800 (generic)"

Driver "nvidia"

Option "DPMS"

Option "IgnoreEdid" "1"

EndSection

Section "Screen"

Identifier "screen1"

Device "device1"

Monitor "monitor1"

DefaultColorDepth 24

Subsection "Display"

Depth 8

Virtual 1280 1024

EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"

Depth 15

Virtual 1280 1024

EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"

Depth 16

Virtual 1280 1024

EndSubsection

Endsection

Section "ServerLayout"

Identifier "Layout1"

InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"

InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"

Screen "screen1"

EndSection

What do you think is wrong in it ? Thank you for your help so far.