Mandriva 2006 "Versions"

Guest Smandola

Guest Smandola

Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry, but this is a really dumb question.

I'm trying to figure out the difference between the Versions

Firstly, I'm on Mandriva 10.1 and was looking to upgrade.

I downloaded Mandriva-Linux-2006-Free-DVD and I'm trying

to figure out what version it is. I'm looking at the Mandriva site

and I see Mandriva One, Discovery, Power Pack, Power Pack+.

Is there a source that someone can point me to ?

Thanks in Advance.

The version you have - 2006 free dvd - is the most current version that is freely available for download. The others must be purchased, with the exception of MandrivaOne, which is a live version of the distro.

Guest Smandola

Thanks for the info.

Does this mean that the 2006-Free DVD contain the same features.

I know this may some like a dumb question, but will it have Samba, Apache, and some basic server functions ? By the little I can find about Mandriva One it doesn't sound like these are available. Or is this a case of simply downloading them and installing them ?

I'm sure that I'll look back on this post and realize how dumb my questions are.

Yes they have all of that, however you need to add your easyurpmi sources by clicking the link at the top of this page once you've got Mandriva installed.

• 2 months later...
Guest Stepniac

What is the difference between Mandriva One and Mandriva 2006?

What is the difference between the powerpack and standard packages?

What do one get for purchasing Mandriva? Is it the same features just that the buyer get extra support?

Do I get the development tools like gcc and gdb in either Mandriva One or Mandriva 2006 "Standard" package or are these tools in the powerpackage? Will I need to purchase Mandriva 2006 Powerpackage.

Apologies if the above queries end up repeating themselves?

Stepniac.

Mandriva One is virtually the same as Mandriva 2006 - they use the same repositories for packages.

And if you add all your easyurpmi sources, then yes, you'll get gcc, gdb or whatever else you want.

Mora apps included by default (= More CDs). That's all.
What do one get for purchasing Mandriva? Is it the same features just that the buyer get extra support?
Extra support/Club-Membership and some commercial apps/modules installed by default. All of them can be easily installed in the free version.
Will I need to purchase Mandriva 2006 Powerpackage.
As already said by Ian: No. :)

Mora apps included by default (= More CDs). That's all.

That and the inclusion of several proprietery things, such as nvidia drivers, flash, java, etc.

Extra support/Club-Membership and some commercial apps/modules installed by default. All of them can be easily installed in the free version.

The only support you will really get is voluntary in the club, there's no dedicated support to be honest. Don't get me wrong, there are some very knowledgeable people there, but you are in no way guaranteed to get your problem solved.

I'm not trying to discredit your post arctic, but as a benificiary of this support in the recent past, I thought it would be of more use to the original poster to have a good understanding of what this support comprises.

The only support you will really get is voluntary in the club, there's no dedicated support to be honest. Don't get me wrong, there are some very knowledgeable people there, but you are in no way guaranteed to get your problem solved.

I totally agree with this judgement. For me, the benefit of purchasing Powerpack was in getting an access to commercial drivers (such as ATI drivers) compiled by Mandriva. I am referring to the epoch of mandrake 9.2 when one actually needed those drivers. Since then ATI have improved their Linux support tremendously and you may just get by using the drivers from ATI. However, to Mandriva credit, their drivers were performing much better. I suspect that was due to the fact that Mandriva patches their kernel quite heavily, so there may be an advantage in using the Mandriva made stuff.