2006 on my pc/laptop [solved]

Guest azer

Hey

I have installed 2006 on my pc and laptop,its working very well but I wanted to remove it from my laptop(C drive has 1gb free space only); after removing partitions by using Cd, I dont know how to remove mrb(boot) and recover partitions, help plz.plz give easy solutions...im new to linux!

Edited by azer

Welcome aboard. :)

I guess you want to put WIndows on it again. In that case, boot the Windows-CD and hit R for recovery. You will get now to the rescue terminal and from there, launch

fixmbr

and reboot. Now, the bootloader is again the Windows bootloader and an installation of Windows will erase Linux on it (just do some partitioning with the install CD).

Are you wanting to remove Linux? If so, just boot into Windows. Then go into Disk Management, and remove all the partitions that Windows doesn't recognise. You'll know which ones, as they're easily identifiable.

Then after you've done this, put your Windows XP CD in and fix the MBR with this.

Alternatively, boot the Mandriva CD one more time, and choose rescue mode by pressing F1, and then typing "linux rescue", and you can recover the Windows MBR this way too I think.

Not having any XP CD means you are not a legit XP user- even the recovery CD's provided by some laptop vendors give you the option to fix your MBR- if you happen to fall in that case.

You don't explicitly need the XP CD to "fixboot/fixmbr"- you can do the same with a 9X floppy, burned either to a floppy or CD.

In case your recovery CD does not have a fixboot option (like the Dell recovery CD's do) , and you do not have a floppy drive, you can get a windows 9X floppy image from http://www.bootdisk.com/ , and burn that image as a boot image to a CD. From there you can boot that CD and perform

fdisk/mbr

And your windows will boot properly.

The boot diskettes created by windows XP do not "know" the mbr switch... for some reason.