Skype [solved]

shimshon

Restart your session. If it doesn't pop up in your menu (internet → messengers section), then you have to add it with menudrake manually. Or create a link to the application and place it on your desktop or panel.

Some items in the menu always seem to disappear on me, like skype (and Opera), even when adding them manually with menudrake. I just open a konsole and type skype :sad:

(or I place a shortcut in the panel, like I do for Opera but I don't want Skype there, the panel seems to be more reliable. I think the disappearing items have something to do with the 2 different ways menu are created, menu-xdg and another way which i believe are both in 2006)

Edited by ffi

For this, open a terminal and type

locate skype

or as root user

urpmq skype

It should list skype. It should be located in your /usr/bin directory (or browse the /usr/bin directory with a filemanager like Konqueror)

but if you want to start skype, you don't need to type the complete path, just skype will do (or try sky + tab, tab will auto-complete, although you would only save one keystroke in this case)

Edited by ffi

When you create the shortcut, at the section where it asks for the path, simply type /usr/bin/skype. It IS there and it WILL work. Trust me, I have skype on my box, too. ;)

Now about your shortcut: Rightclick the desktop, pick "new link to application" and the rest are somewhat less than self-explicable- e.g. on the command to be executed you should put

/usr/bin/skype

or

/usr/local/bin/skype

(wherever your binary is located).

in the line command of the the application tab (when you create a new link to an app) you can also just put skype. I believe everything in /bin /usr/bin and /usr/local/bin is recognised as a "command" but I don know which has the priority in case of duplicate filenames.

In a console press tab a couple of times and you'll see all the commands, you have available.

Edited by ffi