To make it faster...

ahmad

after installing mandriva.. i still have the speed problem.. it's tooo slow... it takes 15 sec to load firfox... 30 sec to openMCC ..!!

i'v tried :

urpme kat

it's a bit faster now... but still way slower than windows... :huh:

i even removed some services

still verry slow... better than befor... but still i find it very hard to use it for every day's life....

aren't there any extra application to stop? or services?!

thanks

If you post a list of your services, I'll let you know which ones you can stop/disable, or which programs you can remove altogether. You can get a list of them using:

chkconfig --list

will display all services on the system, whether disabled or enabled.

chkconfig --list | grep on

will provide a list of those that are enabled. I tend to remove services completely by removing the associated program. Others tend to just turn it off in case they might need it later.

• 2 weeks later...

Without knowing how fast or slow the CPU is and what the system has for memory, I can suggest the following, based on answers I've received from ianw1974 and others elsewhere on the site.

Remove "kat" (which you've apparently done already).

Turn off "lisa" at boot, since this provides for network browsing. If you have no need to check other computers on your network (assuming you have a home network), you do not need "lisa".

After logging in, open a Konsole window, type su and enter your root password. Then type:

swapoff -a

which will turn off your swap partition.

I did all this on an older, custom-built PC with 196 Mb of memory and an Intel Pentium/MMX CPU (166 MHz), and Mandriva is running reasonably well, but I have to remember to swapoff -a every time I boot it up.

Edited by edwardp

After logging in, open a Konsole window, type su and enter your root password. Then type:

swapoff -a

which will turn off your swap partition.

I did all this on an older, custom-built PC with 196 Mb of memory and an Intel Pentium/MMX CPU (166 MHz), and Mandriva is running reasonably well, but I have to remember to swapoff -a every time I boot it up.

If I remove the swap partition from fstab, will it do the work or 'swapoff -a' is the only solution?

[offtopic]

Why turning off the swap makes a PC faster, isn't it the opposite?

[/offtopic]

is'nt it that mandriva or other linuxes uses the swap only if there is not enough available RAM to use...? then why should swap need to turn off when you only have a 196 MB of RAM... maybe if you have a 512 or 1Gig of RAM, then you dont really need swap in your Desktop ( but not on all situation IMO)

Edited by aioshin

is'nt it that mandriva or other linuxes uses the swap only if there is not enough available RAM to use...? then why should swap need to turn off when you only have a 196 MB of RAM... maybe if you have a 512 or 1Gig of RAM, then you dont really need swap in your Desktop ( but not on all situation IMO)

I wish this were true! I have a 1G of RAM and 2G of swap partition, and time to time evolution would start using up more and more swap... Apparently there is a nasty memory leak in Evo, but there are no updates.

This is strange. My main machine also has 1 GB RAM and 2 GB Swap and Mandriva NEVER used my swap, not even with evolution opened (max RAM used I managed was some 950 MB so far). Evo uses 22 MB on my boxes.

Disabling swap should basically not make your computer faster, it will only make it more unstable. I highly recommend not to disable it unless you have more than 2 GB Ram. (Yeah, call me paranoid B) )

If I remove the swap partition from fstab, will it do the work or 'swapoff -a' is the only solution?
Removing it from fstab would do the trick, but as said: I don't recommend doing this.

This is strange. My main machine also has 1 GB RAM and 2 GB Swap and Mandriva NEVER used my swap, not even with evolution opened (max RAM used I managed was some 950 MB so far). Evo uses 22 MB on my boxes.

What version fo you use? Do you run it under Gnome or KDE? I have this problem on a MDK10.1 box, that is evo 2.0.3.

It depends what you are doing ...

cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:	  1034372 kB
MemFree:		 25536 kB
Buffers:		 13724 kB
Cached:		 748240 kB
SwapCached:		520 kB
Active:		 596576 kB
Inactive:	   361772 kB
HighTotal:	  131008 kB
HighFree:		  256 kB
LowTotal:	   903364 kB
LowFree:		 25280 kB
SwapTotal:	 3148732 kB
SwapFree:	  3141436 kB
Dirty:			3256 kB
Writeback:		   0 kB
Mapped:		 293824 kB
Slab:			30752 kB
CommitLimit:   3665916 kB
Committed_AS:   645368 kB
PageTables:	   2560 kB
VmallocTotal:   114680 kB
VmallocUsed:	 26460 kB
VmallocChunk:	84468 kB

I just activated swap and its using a few kb and slowing down my system enormously ...

Its also using more memory actually handling the swap than the swap its using....by trying to cache swap to RAM.

I just activated swap and its using a few kb and slowing down my system enormously ...

Its also using more memory actually handling the swap than the swap its using....by trying to cache swap to RAM.

enourmously? How so? less responsive? programs are taking years longer to load? In what ways is it showing it's slowdown, because different ways can indicate different problems.

The vanilla kernel as included in Mandriva does not do swap prefetching, so it would not be caching things from swap into memory.

James

enourmously? How so? less responsive? programs are taking years longer to load? In what ways is it showing it's slowdown, because different ways can indicate different problems.

The drive the swap is on is usually powered down on maximum power/noise saving because I only use the swap when Im doing something that needs it.

The vanilla kernel as included in Mandriva does not do swap prefetching, so it would not be caching things from swap into memory.

James

Im not using the mandriva kernel or mandriva (except on a virtual vmware) however managing the memory takes resources. The same goes for enabling CONFIG_HIMEM_4GB etc. if you are not using it the kernel still needs threads and semphores to watch it.....

The default mandriva kernel is somewhat tuned more to a higher spec machine so many of kernel options in the .config are likely to be wasted resources...