Mandriva One install asks for local host login

Guest happolk

Guest happolk

Mandriva One, Linux-Magazine May 2006 version install drops into console asking for local host login. I do not know what response to make. :wall: Thanks for any help. Yup, I'm a newbie.

Welcome aboard. :)

I do not fully understand if the installation worked okay and if you got thrown to a command line after a installation or if you got thrown into a command line even before the installation started.

Here is a walkthrough for an installation with pictures: http://www.reviewlinux.com/index.php/?m=show&id=2375

You should get to the graphical login screen as seen on picture 24. "Localhost" is the "default name" of your computer. Nothing more, nothing less. Linux systems tend to get a name (useful if you set up e.g. a local network system). So let's assume the installation went well and you don't see that login screen but get instead dropped into a command line with "localhost" login, then the graphical environment seems to be set up incorrectly. At this prompt, enter your username, press enter, then enter the password. Then you are logged in. If your graphic display is not correct, as already stated, try launching "startx" from a command line, in order to see if it really bombs out. If that is the case, do the following:

Type "exit" to log off as normal user. Now type "root" to log in as asministrator. Type the password (Hint: the typed passwords are invisible on the screen (=masked), although they are being typed - a security feature) and hit enter again. Now type "XFdrake". A configuration tool should start now. With this tool, you can set up your graphics/monitor and test them. If everything fails, try a "vesa" driver. Once you are done, exit XFdrake and type "kdm". The graphical login-screen should pop up now.

If you still have problems, please give us some details of your hardware. Which graphics card, which motherboard, which monitor do you use?

Good luck. :beer:

• 3 years later...

Mandriva One, Linux-Magazine May 2006 version install drops into console asking for local host login. I do not know what response to make.  :wall: Thanks for any help. Yup, I'm a newbie.

It's always a bit hit and miss using distros from magazines.  You'd be better off downloading your own Mandriva One.  Just make sure you test the the .iso for corruption before burning and installing.  Edited by {BBI}Nexus{BBI}