XFree86 4.6.0

klipp

I've had a quick search and couldn't find anything. However, you'd have to completely remove xorg, and install xfree86 in it's place.

However, chances are a lot of Mandriva's packages will have dependencies on xorg, so it won't be easy.

Why do you want to replace xorg with xfree86?!?

As Xorg progressed (?) from 6.7.0 through 6.8.0 and then 6.9.0 it made more older video & editing drivers incompatable as the authors were no longer interested in recompiling in ELF. This leaves a lot of us "hanging" with hardware we can no longer use. By using XFree86 4.6.0 this hardware is still usable.

Everything suported in xfree86 4.6 is also supported in xorg 6.9.0.

The real problem is that the xorg that shipped with Mandriva 2006 was very beta (at the very best). Simply update it...

Hey, scarecrow!!! Thank you, but update it with what? I have all of 2006's updates installed.

...and the problem with the updated xorg 6.9.0 is... ? what? Please, be more specific...

One example!! ATI drivers for their "All in Wonder" 128. TV & Video capture works fine in Xorg 6.7.0 (because r128_drv.o will load!) Xorg 6.9.0 will not load r128_drv.o but now only loads r128_drv.so which does not recognize the fact that the ATI card is capable of TV & Video capture.

One example!! ATI drivers for their "All in Wonder" 128. TV & Video capture works fine in Xorg 6.7.0 (because r128_drv.o will load!) Xorg 6.9.0 will not load r128_drv.o but now only loads r128_drv.so which does not recognize the fact that the ATI card is capable of TV & Video capture.

where are you getting this older driver from?

First, there's no way to use xfree on Mandriva.

Second, the official ATi drivers do not support Rage family cards.

Third, see what's happening with the unofficial ATi driver:

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Mandriva

The "r128" gatos driver you mentioned above is now included in xorg, supposedly with no less functionality than before. But take notice of a warning in the gatos sourceforge site:

At the moment video capture (km) is incompatible with DRI acceleration.

Edited by scarecrow

Thanks scarecrow for saving me the time of trying to make XFree86 work with Mandriva 2006, I'm aware of what the "Official" ATI drivers now finally support and they work pretty good on the newer ATI cards.

The "UnOfficial" ATI drivers (for several years) have been the only means of making the older ATI cards function in Linux, thanks to the "Gatos Project" and these ATI.2 drivers as they are now called worked pretty well, that is, until Xorg 6.9.0! DRI acceleration has never (to my knowledge) been workable on these older cards but KM has worked fine.

The problem now is that the older gatos drivers WILL work in XFree 86 and up through Xorg 6.7.0. The reason for this is that Xorg 6.7.0 still loads drivers with the ".o" suffix wheras Xorg 6.9.0 will only load the recompiled ".so" suffix drivers. The new "r128" gatos driver you mentioned is of the ".so" variety and does not have the code included to load the bt829,fi1236,msp3430,saa7114, tda & theatre drivers like its older counterpart driver does. I'm no expert on ELF but it looks to me like the only solution is to re-compile the older r128_drv.o, but this too would probably only result in a bigger "bucket of worms". I've been unable to get any assistance fro Gatos, I think possibly they may have "given up the ghost" on ATI now that ATI is finally turning out some quality drivers for their newer cards.

I have a couple of other posts further down in this forum, looking for help also.

Thanks for you're time and efforts, any other ideas (other than throwing these cards away and buying newer ones) would sure be welcome.