Why resolv.conf resets to defaults every reboot?

keropi

I don't get it...

I edit as root /etc/resolv.conf so it works with my isp, here is what is inside:

search WORKGROUP

nameserver 192.168.1.1

nameserver 195.170.0.1

nameserver 195.170.2.1

I save it, all is well, webpages work... I reboot and then on resolv.conf the only line that exists is: nameserver 192.168.1.1 and only Konqueror works... no firefox/opera....

I have tried passing all the above values withm the net setup tools, and manually but afer a reboot they are lost... :wall:

any ideas?

The rewrite is actually mandated by the dhclient-script. If you want to keep the file, edit it and hard lock it as root with

chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf

For unlocking use chattr -i /etc/resolv.conf

The rewrite is actually mandated by the dhclient-script. If you want to keep the file, edit it and hard lock it as root with

chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf

For unlocking use chattr -i /etc/resolv.conf

ok it works now, but I had some other strange errors...

I can visit google.gr but not google.com !!!!

I am very dissapointed with this... why can't it be a simple task like in winXP? why should I add nameserves??? and why when I installed opera-mdk there is no icon for it on the menu??? :(

I would remove the:

search WORKGROUP

line as it won't do anything for you anyway, except maybe cause an odd problem. If DNS isn't resolving, then this is an issue with the DNS server, not Linux. I would also check if ipv6 is enabled, and disable adding this line to /etc/modprobe.conf

alias net-pf-10 off

If Opera hasn't appeared, and you installed it using the Mandriva urpmi sources, then you might need to do System/Configuration/Other/MenuDrake and then click the save button, or log out and back in again and it should appear.

I tend to only use what's available in the urpmi sources for Mandriva, that way you'll get the menu entries. Anything that I installed, like Firefox 1.5 from Mozilla's website, I manually create my icon entries. It's not hard, and doesn't bother me that I need to do it, because I accept it.

If you use something direct from Firefox/Opera, or whoever, there's no guarantee that their rpm creates a menu entry. There are many reasons for this, and not necessarily Mandriva's fault.

Shame you deleted it so quick.

why can't it be a simple task like in winXP?

"Because" this is Linux, not Windows. These are two completely different operating systems. Don't think in a Windows way in Linux. If you do, you will get confused and lost.

Actually, this is not complicated at all, if you know some basics in Linux. Steering an aeroplane ain't simple, too, the first time you try it. You need to learn things, step by step. ;)

maybe you have your mandriva-box configured to use zeroconf (its a bit like apple's rendevouz), it always reverts back to a standard resolv.conf

to disable zeroconf, look in the MCC, system services; if the services mDNSresponder and nifd are running/enabled at startup then disable them

the opera-rpm from opera.com does generate a menu-entry (it's been doing it since at least Opera 5)

btw, sometimes you have to tell windows the adress of your nameserver too ;)

maybe some information about your network-setup would help:

are you on a dialup-connection or through a router ?

fixed IP or DHCP ?

do you have an internal DNS; maybe your router ?

Edited by lavaeolus