Need help in setting printer Brother MFC-210C!

Guest Gursikh

Guest Gursikh

I installed Mandriva One Live CD on my desktop and happy to install it without a single problem.

Because this is my first time I am working with LINUX. So I don't know much about it.

I have a Brother multifunction printer MFC 210C. I couldn't find that printer driver in the available list of brother drivers which come with Mandriva 1 live CD.

I downloaded the RPM file of the above printer from brother website. Opened Konqurer and double click the RPM file and it got installed.

But then again when the system boots as previous it says that please install the printer MFC 210C. I cannot find that printer in the list.

Then I tried to install it again the same RPM file but the message comes that printer is already installed.

How can I get that printer list refreshed or how can I make my printer working?

Please HELP ME!!!

OK. This is an lpr driver. So, open a browser (konquror) and type "localhost:631" in the address bar. This will bring you to the cups configuration tool, by-passing Mandriva's tools. Add a printer. When it asks for type of driver, select lpr. Then, cups should offer the lpr driver for the printer. I'll be happy if Brother actually works in linux, since heir support has been less than pathetic until now. There are sveral steps, but just answer the questions and you should be able to walk thru it.

Guest Gursikh
OK. This is an lpr driver. So, open a browser (konquror) and type "localhost:631" in the address bar. This will bring you to the cups configuration tool, by-passing Mandriva's tools. Add a printer. When it asks for type of driver, select lpr. Then, cups should offer the lpr driver for the printer. I'll be happy if Brother actually works in linux, since heir support has been less than pathetic until now. There are sveral steps, but just answer the questions and you should be able to walk thru it.

====================================================================

*****While configuring my printer I am not connected to Internet.****** *My modem is not configured couldn't find a my modem driver for Linux of DLINK DFM-562IS with Conexant chip. ***********

When I type "Localhost:631" in the address bar , I go to CUPS configuration tool. I click on Manage printer--> CLick on Add printer.

It opens a Authorisation Dialog box And request me to supply a Username and Pwd to access this site.

I put my Username & Password.

OOPS !!!!! Authentication failed. DO u want to retry..........?????????

Please help me 'Ixthusdan' in setting my printer and modem.

Edited by Gursikh

Sorry. You must enter "root" as the user and your root password. Let's get the printer first, and then the modem.

Guest Gursikh

Yes I put root as UID and my PWD. It worked.

I clicked on Administration----> Add new Printer.

1) A Dialog box opened prompting for Name, Location, Description Text boxes.

I input Brother in Name txt box

/home/abc (where my printer rpm file is located) in the Location txt box,

MFC-210c in the Description txt box

2) I selected LPD/LPR Host or printer option

3) Device URL box : /home/abc/mfc210clpr-1.0.2-1.i386.rpm (this is the path and name of my file, This is the file I downloaded from the Brother website for Linux OS)

4) Then It shows me different brands of printers.

I clicked on Brother but OOPS!!!! there is no MFC 210C model listed in the list.

So now confused what to do?? How to refresh that list??? Don't know.

• 1 month later...