firefox middle click doesn't work right [solved]

linux n00b

when I middle click to close a tab it just does a search from google on like random text on whatever page im on, i did a search here and didnt see anyone else with the same problem :(

mandriva 2006

im on firefox 1.54 now but it did it on the 1.0x also on mandriva 06 and i remember when i had mandrake10 and even mandriva 2005 it was doing the same thing

I've had this on mine before, I usually got around it by making sure that when I press the middle mouse button, that the cursor is over the top of the round circle icon that shows the auto-scroll.

However, scarecrows tips sounds like it's a much better solution, never knew this option :P

This may seem like a dumb question. What advantage is there in using the harder to operate mouse wheel button to close a tab rather than the conventional left click button ???.

The only time I use the wheel click button is to paste lines into text from other text locations. e.g. a web address into Firefox or whatever. I use it in this mode only because it eliminates a step or two. In the tab situation it saves nothing.

Or is this a windows characteristic/trait/routine you are using here ???. Nothing wrong with that, am just curious.

Cheers. John.

Yep, I know that there are extensions which take care of that issue... but generally, I prefer installing as few Firefox extensions as possible- FF is a wee bit on the heavy side without any extension loaded!

The tip I suggested above will disable a few mouse gestures- but to be honest, I never missed them...