Netgear MA101 Rev.B

Guest cobrastrike

Guest cobrastrike

I just installed Mandriva 2006 Free on my other computer, and now i'm trying to install the wireless adaptor. The OS sees the adaptor, but when i click it, it says to get the atmel-firmware. I now have gotten it, but have no idea what to do with it? I'm not used to Mandriva and this is only the second Linux OS i used (last one was RedHat Linux 5) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the board :beer:

I would expect that you could get an app from Netgear which allows you to apply the firmware to the card. This would normally be the case, as far as I'm aware.

Chances are though, it'll only be a Windows app.

Guest cobrastrike

ive got the windows drivers for my windows box. what i need to know is how i install the atmel-firmware. Its all giberish to me.

Edited by cobrastrike

That's what I was replying with :lol:

You need a program to be able to upload the firmware to the card. Without this, I'm not sure how you'll do it. Are there instructions with the firmware that you downloaded? And if so, can you post them here, as it should help us to get it updated for you?

Without it, we're just as much in the dark. I've tried doing a google for "upload atmel firmware netgear ma101", which does provide some results, so you may want to try this google too, and see what is out there.

Guest cobrastrike

its not the adaptor that needs the firmware. when im in the native hardware config area, i select wireless, and then it says Unknown and has the name of my wireless (usb) network adaptor. i click it, and then Run COnfig, and it says i need the atmel-firmware and has a folorer that is something like /lib/hotpug/

firmware is uploaded to the card via hotplug on older setups, and udev on anything up to date (hotplug has been replaced/removed entirely).

when you get the firmware, make sure it's correctly named, and placed in the correct folder, again that folder depends on hotplug or udev, Mandriva still uses hotplug -- it's been a while since i've used hotplug, so i'm not sure where it puts it.

James

Edited by iphitus

Guest cobrastrike

Well, i downloaded the drivers offof the stmel site on SF.net

I also printed instructions on how to install. It says to compile it is type in "make config" but when i do that i get the error below

make:*** No rule to make target 'config'. Stop.

Guest cobrastrike

ive just decided since Mandiva basically sucks to me at this point, im going back to my good friend RedHat. Ive got a copy of Redhat 9 kicking around, and am thinking of upgrading to Enterprise 4. Thanks for trying to help me, but the OS was against me the whole time.

Before the make, you probably need a:

./configure

before you can run make. This is probably why you were having the problem. It's not Mandriva that sucks, but you need to read the documentation that came with the driver that you downloaded. Its the driver documentation that sucks if you don't have the instructions to follow to get it compiled. It's a pity you're giving up so quickly and easily, but, oh well.

Incidently, Red Hat 9 is sooo old, you'll probably have more problems with that. And since you may have to get the firmware for that too, you'll be in exactly the same problem later. Even Enterprise editions aren't that new, and certainly behind in kernel versions compared to Mandriva. Might I suggest CentOS instead, it's virtually the same as RHEL anyway (like a mirror copy of it), but more up-to-date. Enjoy though, the good thing with Linux you can choose whatever distro works for you.

Might I suggest CentOS instead, it's virtually the same as RHEL anyway (like a mirror copy of it), but more up-to-date.

I'm :offtopic:, but CentOS is not more up to date than RHEL. It's exactly the same in terms of how new the packages are but you don't get the support (and of course the cost) of RHEL.