hardware drivers petition - please join

Guest philippe

You already have a far more powerful way at your disposal: dont buy their products. Besides I am against forcing companies to make or not make a certain product, as it limits their freedoms, the market decides whats wanted and what not.

I also do not buy products that do not support linux. For example, I have purchased Nvidia products for precisely that reason. ATI has finally caught up, but it had to under preasure. Petitions make nice news articles. Purchasing power is power. Don't suppot non-linux vendors. B)

1. Vendors rarely listen to petitions. And how exactly are you going to get vendors to see this petition anyways?
  2. Vendors are even less likely to pay any attention to this petition as it has grammatical and spelling errors.
  3. If you want vendors to pay attention to it you'll have to target specific ones. A general "hardware vendors" is almost a useless statement.

1. Vendors rarely listen to petitions. And how exactly are you going to get vendors to see this petition anyways?
  2. Vendors are even less likely to pay any attention to this petition as it has grammatical and spelling errors.
  3. If you want vendors to pay attention to it you'll have to target specific ones. A general "hardware vendors" is almost a useless statement.

I have to agree about trying influencing manufacturers. These companies are PROFIT oriented and cannot function within your request if there' is no money to be made.

Vote with your dollars. Example.....for printing.. go with Samsung. Many of their products have linux drivers ON THE CD ! Epson, HP, and now Brother are providing linux drivers on their sites. Lexmark lasers also are linux compatible although their inkjets are horrible....ANYWAY..back to my rant..

One of the first major stumbling blocks facing new PROSPECTIVE linux users is getting net connected. One great way to spread linux knowledge is via internet, and since many still use dialup, I have written to and received favorable replies from several developers of MAJOR distros.

1. Linux community should look for philanthropic capital, pool assetts, whatever.......... buy overstock lots of serial port modems...GIVE them away on forums and linux friendly reseller sites.

2. STOP WAITING for modem drivers. Linmodems has done a wonderful job, but let's face it...modem setup is still a hit or miss affair for most users. Why not bypass ALL THAT and form a linux diistro "consortium" and CONTRACT for someone to build cheap internal PCI modems with linux compatible chipsets or buy overstock lots. I have seen 100,000 for $1.99 each. Write drivers. Incorporate them into the next kernel release, then GIVE THE DAMN MODEMS AWAY! Make another batch of 250,000. GIVE THOSE AWAY! Make another batch of 500,000....sell them at cost.

OK done ranting... I feel better now

Thanks

who needs modems :P

i haven't used a modem in...3 years :lol2:

(i realize not everyone is as lucky as me...i'm just joking :jester:)

btw - winmodems are the least of our hardware concerns. i'd be more worried about SATA.

btw - winmodems are the least of our hardware concerns. i'd be more worried about SATA.

our sata support is excellent and the least of our worries, however most of it is sitting under libATA which has been undergoing extensive amounts of work outside the tree. It's undergone a major overhaul, with all SATA and IDE drivers being merged under a single framework, aka libATA.

Expect to see a lot of this merged in 2.6.18. Alternatively if you can't wait, give one of the patchsets that include these updated libATA drivers a shot (eg beyond), or grab them for yourself at:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/peo...jgarzik/libata/

For detailed status info, take a look at the libata status report, last updated 16 May:

http://linux-ata.org/sata-status.html

Between older kernels and now, there's also been a lot of improvements, so if you're having trouble on a dated thing like 2.6.12 that mandriva provides, find a method to update to 2.6.16, or the to-be-released-any-day-now 2.6.17.

James