moving my installation

Guest richard_haggath

Guest richard_haggath

hi i just installed a second hard drive on my machine.

i currently have mdk 9 and xp home on the first drive. can i move my linux to the second drive without reinstalling again???

[/b]

Guest richard_haggath

not quite what i wanted but useful. i actually want to move the whole linux partition to my new disc and convert my current linux part to another ntfs disc for some projects i have? :D :D

Well, the principle is the same. Let the bios detect the new hd, then boot into Linux and hit alt-F2 (or whatever to get to a free virutal terminal and run diskdrake. If the HD is detected properly, you'll see it there and you can create new partitions on it. After creating the same mount points as you have now and formatting them, it may say "This mount point already exists, do you wish to transfer the files?" or it may not, in which case, you can mount your new /home partition and do something like this:

cp -R /home /newhome

of course with the names changed appropriately. I'm not totally familiar with how the mount points look across two HDs, but that post seemed very similar to what you are requesting, just do it for each mount point.

It should work fine. Linux is looking for /var (for example) - it doesn't care where /var is - it might be on your second hard drive, it might be on a Zip disk, it might be on a networked laptop, it might even be on a computer in Nuuk, Greenland. Just make sure that your bootloader and fstab are updated.

Guest richard_haggath

either i did it really wrong or i did something silly and i had to install linux complete and my xp install (i did something silly)

either way it didn't do it right.

so i move it all (my linux install) and make my lilo point to the new place for linux is that what you were saying?

i don't mind all this installing cos you get to learn about whats going on.