What are Terminals?

hi,

i have just installed Mandriva Linux LE 2005 and i m in the process of learning as much as i can about linux. Can any one please explain to me as what the Terminals are for? In Mandriva i can see many of them like

CRXvt

GBRXvt

JRXvt

KRXvt

RXvt

KTerm

Konsole

which one i can use as to write commands just like the command prompt in windows.

thanks.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

You can use all terminals for writing commands, the default is bash, which is the one marked as "konsole". Each terminal is different in some ways or another. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure in what respects, as I only use bash. But I'm sure someone could explain the differences that I'm unable to, I'd have to read up on it to find out more.

This you can use very much like the command prompt in Windows, for copy commands using cp, moving files with mv, and other such commands.

bash is the actual shell that is used. all of the programs you've mentioned are actually "terminal emulators", they are programs which give you access to a terminal/console. once in the terminal/console, you are given a prompt and are in the bash shell which is also called the command line. there are various different shells with different features but bash is the most popular.

all the programs mentioned are just different ways of accessing the command line and have different features. some you can change the background color or use an image as a background, others have a menu bar which you can access to change settings, but in the end they give you a commaind line (in this case a bash shell) to run commands on.

You can use all terminals for writing commands, the default is bash, which is the one marked as "konsole". Each terminal is different in some ways or another. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure in what respects, as I only use bash. But I'm sure someone could explain the differences that I'm unable to, I'd have to read up on it to find out more.

This you can use very much like the command prompt in Windows, for copy commands using cp, moving files with mv, and other such commands.

I thnk you are confusing terminals with sells with commands. Bash is a shell terminal is a program that contains a command line interface and a command are small programs that you can install and run.

Terminal apps include:

Xterm

Eterm

Konsole

GTerminal

Shells there are:

BASH

ASH

CSH

KornShell

And commands:

ls, mv, cp, dir, traceroute, cut, etc.