Nvidia problems

lawsonrc

Thanks ffi,

I felt safe, maybe because of false security, and met some wonderful people at a very large Liberal synagogue. Next time I'm in Amsterdam I'll use a little more caution upon your advice.

Richard L.

Center is okay but don´t go to far West and especially not East, looking particulary jewish (ie. wearing a kippah) :(

Gul,

Here are the results I forgot to post yesterday when I replied to you:

[root@localhost ~]# uname -r
2.6.12-22mdk
[root@localhost ~]# ls -l /usr/src
total 1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root  18 Jun  6 13:19 linux -> linux-2.6.12-22mdk/
drwxr-xr-x   3 root root  72 May 28 17:18 linux-2.6.12-12mdk/
drwxr-xr-x  21 root root 800 Jun  6 13:26 linux-2.6.12-22mdk/
drwxr-xr-x   3 root root 776 May 28 11:48 nvidia-7676/
drwxr-xr-x   7 root root 168 May 28 11:43 RPM/
[root@localhost ~]#

The second and third lines are different, and I don't know what they are. I guess the first line is the kernel. I don't see anything that looks like the kernel-source.

I'm not sure what I need to uninstall and what I need to install for the nvidia-8756, or how to install it. Step by step commands would be helpful for me.

I just went to the Mandriva Control Center and looked at software I have installed and did a search for kernel-source. It says I have the following installed:

kernel-source-2.6-2.6.12-22mdk and

kernel-source-stripped-2.6-2.6.12-22mdk.

I'm sure I don't need both.

Thanks,

Richard

The first line is the kernel-source. The second line is your old kernel and the third line is your recent kernel.

MCC says you have two kernel-souces installed, you only need one. I owuld advise uninstalling kernel-source-stripped with MCC.

After that, I would try to install urpmi nvidia-xorg and post ypur xorg.conf after you rebooted. You could also give us the result of glxinfo | grep direct to see if the installation went oke.

Edited by Gul Dukat

Personally I never had any problems with the stripped kernel sources and they save about 150MB in disk space.

What I would do also is uninstall everything nvidia from mcc and theb reinstall the nvidia-dkms of the desired driver version, as this will install all needed nvidia components. You still seem to have components of the old driver installed nvidia-7676 .

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had a chance to try to solve this problem in a couple of weeks, but now I'm back.

To recap:

As a club member, I used the new Kiosk to download KDE 3.5. This needed a newer version of the kernel and kernel-source ending in -22mdk to get 3D acceleration wtih my Nvidia card (see the first couple of posts at the beginning.) Then I need the nvidia-8756 for compatibility. When I did the command (in root) urpmi nvidia-xorg, it gave a a newer one: nvidia-8762, which does not work. I uninstalled them and reinstalled from MCC the nvidia-8756, but this is still incomplete.

I'm totally perplexed and confused, being a simple-minded "point & clicker" and needed very elementarty, step-by-step command lines (or using MCC) to install/uninstall things.

Here is what I did today on the command line, then afterward I uninstalled the "8762" stuff:

[root@localhost ~]# urpmi nvidia-xorg.

To satisfy dependencies, the following 3 packages are going to be installed (18 MB):

dkms-nvidia-8762-0.1.20060plf.i586

libnvidia-xorg1-8762-0.1.20060plf.i586

nvidia-xorg-8762-0.1.20060plf.i586

Is this OK? (Y/n) y

ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux...ee/2006.0/i586/ ./nvidia-xorg-8762-0.1.20060plf.i586.rpm

ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux...ee/2006.0/i586/ ./libnvidia-xorg1-8762-0.1.20060plf.i586.rpm

ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux...060plf.i586.rpm

installing nvidia-xorg-8762-0.1.20060plf.i586.rpm libnvidia-xorg1-8762-0.1.20060plf.i586.rpm dkms-nvidia-8762-0.1.20060plf.i586.rpm from /var/cache/urpmi/rpms

Preparing... #############################################

1/3: dkms-nvidia #############################################

Creating symlink /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/8762-0.1.20060plf/source ->

/usr/src/nvidia-8762-0.1.20060plf

DKMS: add Completed.

Preparing kernel 2.6.12-22mdk for module build:

(This is not compiling a kernel, only just preparing kernel symbols)

Running Generic preparation routine

make mrproper....(bad exit status: 2)

make oldconfig...(bad exWarning! Cannot find a .config file to prepare your kernel with.

Try using the --config option to specify where one can be found.

Your build will likely fail because of this.

it status: 2)

make prepare-all...(bad exit status: 2)

Building module:

cleaning build area....

make KERNELRELEASE=2.6.12-22mdk -f makefile KERNEL_SOURCES=/lib/modules/2.6.12-22mdk/build; make -f Makefile SYSSRC=/lib/modules/2.6.12-22mdk/build module....(bad exit status: 2)

Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 2.6.12-22mdk (i586)

Consult the make.log in the build directory

/var/lib/dkms/nvidia/8762-0.1.20060plf/build/ for more information.

Error! Could not locate nvidia.ko.gz for module nvidia in the DKMS tree.

You must run a dkms build for kernel 2.6.12-22mdk (i586) first.

2/3: nvidia-xorg #############################################

3/3: libnvidia-xorg1 #############################################

ALSO (After the 8762 removal):

[root@localhost ~]# uname -r

2.6.12-22mdk

[root@localhost ~]# ls -l /usr/src

total 1

drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 72 May 28 17:18 linux-2.6.12-12mdk/

drwxr-xr-x 17 root root 512 Jun 8 09:20 linux-2.6.12-22mdk/

drwxrwxr-x 2 root root 80 Jun 8 09:37 nvidia-8756/

drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 168 May 28 11:43 RPM/

[root@localhost ~]# rpm -qa | grep dkms

dkms-2.0.5.9-3mdk

dkms-minimal-2.0.5.9-3mdk

I appreciate all the people that have been helping me: Ian1974, Gul, and Chalex20. All help is greatly appreciated. :P

Thanks,

Richard L.

• 2 weeks later...
Preparing kernel 2.6.12-22mdk for module build:

(This is not compiling a kernel, only just preparing kernel symbols)

Running Generic preparation routine

make mrproper....(bad exit status: 2)

make oldconfig...(bad exWarning! Cannot find a .config file to prepare your kernel with.

Try using the --config option to specify where one can be found.

Your build will likely fail because of this.

it status: 2)

make prepare-all...(bad exit status: 2)

Here's my two cents...

dkms is supposed to allow you to update drivers and such without going through an entire kernel compile process. However - dkms will require you to un- and re- install packages whenever you update your kernel. Not a big deal but you need to do it.

It seems there may be problem with your kernel source and module files. I have had several mandrake/mandriva distros not updating symlinks properly and such. I know I'm going to repeat some stuff you've already done/read...I suggest the following:

Make sure your kernel-source and kernel match - then check the "linux" symlink under "/usr/src" and make sure it points to the proper directory, i.e. the one with the same name/number as your kernel. If it doesn't delete it and make a new symlink to the correct one. If you still get the above error you may want to reinstall the kernel and source after unloading dkms-nvidia (see below)

In the same directory (/usr/src) you should see a nvidia-XXXX (your old or current drivers) directory and a nvidia-8762-0.1.20060plf (the new ones).

dkms uses its own install program to setup it's modules. You need to uninstall the packages using dkms and THEN update your kernel AND kernel source and THEN install the dkms packages you use (I use nvidia and kqemu).

To access dkms open a konsole, log in as root and type "dkms status" and it will list all packages that are loaded correctly on your system AND which ones are INSTALLED (refering to dkms). If if shows nvida-7676 (or whatever old driver you were using) then type "dkms remove -m nvidia -v 7676 --all" and then "urpme dkms-nvidia-7676" or whatever the whole package name is. This process applies to all dkms packages you don't want to use anymore.

When you are going to update your kernel - first do "dkms uninstall" (not remove) for all your packages, then do your kernel updating and then "dkms install" your packages. If you "dkms remove" you will need to re-download the package again - basically use "remove" to delete a dkms package you plan on not using again or updating and "uninstall" to just take the package out of the kernel module build list.

I suggest doing a web search on dkms and learning a little about it. Also if you don't use "dkms remove" to delete a package, urpme will fail and you won't be able to remove it later.

Good luck and I hope my advice doesn't crash your system! Web searches are a great tool!

p.s. I am running two Mandriva systems - my 2006 Powerpack system runs the 8762 drivers no problem and my laptop Mandriva One new install with KDE 3.5.3 won't load glx. I am working on it as I type this.

Desktop - P4 640j 3.2, Mandriva 2006 Powerpack, kernel 2.6.12-22smpmdk, nVidia 6600 GT OC, KDE 3.4

Laptop - P4 2.66, Mandriva 2006 One, kernel 2.6.16.1-1mdk, nVidia GeForce 448, KDE 3.5.3