Configure mail server on intranet

Guest singh_forever

Guest singh_forever

Hi all,

actually iam setting up LAN and i need to configure the mail server just for the intranet purposes.

actually iam new to linux, and learning new things, so can someone please help me to do that as this is the task given to me.

I was also required to configure apache web server and it is working absolutely fine as the client side is accessing the default html file from apache module

But i need to configure mail server over LAN as well, so can someone please tell me the sequence of steps to follow so that i can configure mail server. I willbe very grateful.

Guest singh_forever

I know about postfix mail server and there may be other mail servers as well but i dont have knowledge about them.

What iam trying to do is that i need to set up a mail and a web server and trying to communicate between client and the server.

Web server is already working fine.

That one client can send mail to other client through mail server, and other client can retrieve it from that server.

Thats how i can explain, if u need more information please reply.

Thanx

Edited by singh_forever

To set up a mail server, you'll have to know about postfix. Here is a howto I've used to set up a mail server. It's for gentoo, but you can use it and adapt it to fit your distro where necessary.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/virt-mail-howto.xml

else try this link for other docs that might help for installing postfix.

http://www.postfix.org/docs.html

Postfix is the most widely used smtp server, and more or less replaced sendmail. I never knew about postfix until I used these docs.