autoconf2.5 automake [solved]

I have tried to get automake to work so that i can install kernel source.. but i am having a problem because it says that i have an unsatisfied autoconf2.5[>= 1:2.52]

I have tried to install automake and it tells me that it cannot install due to unsatisified autoconf2.5.. I have got the rpm from www.rpmfinder.net and it acts like it installs but i still get the error

whenever i am trying to install certain packages.

I have tried the command: urpmi autoconf2.5 and get no package named autoconf2.5....

I have looked it up in the MCC program.. but to no avail...

Please help me i am linux illiterate

By the way i am a noobie... if you couldnt figure that out!

Any help?

OKAY I am getting really frustrated with linux because i cannot get ANY packages installed!!... everytime i try... i get cannot install because of X.... where x = any number of packages that my computer does not have (from gcc, gij, zlib1, and a whole host of other packages). I try to get them and i cannot becase somewhere down the line it says that it needs autoconf2.5, automake or libxorg.x11 or... or.... I am getting a little upset over the whole situation..

I am a total noob... I am not one to give up easily. I would like to figure out what i am doing wrong... I am sure it is something pretty stupid on my part.

Any help would be greatly appreiated.

Thanks

Edited by avogodro

Pretend that rpmfind does not exist at all...

Now, look here and act accordingly.

On the last stage you don't really have to type anything. Just select each line from your browser with the mouse and ctrl+C, and then paste it to your root console with shift+ins

Edited by scarecrow

I already did that... i was using that to install the missing files first. But when i could not find them i went to rpmfind...

When i search for autoconf in the Mandriva Control Center Install apps sections I get no results. so i went to rpmfind and rpm.pbone.net with no luck getting these apps installed... also it is looking for libxorg-x11-devel.. which i cannot get to install because of either autoconf, automake or zlib1-devel... i am really having a hard time.. it is like going to some government office and asking someone a quesiton... they send you to someone else... when you ask the person you were sent to they send you to another building... when you get there and present your question they send you back to the place you just left...

it is very frustrating

Does everyone have this much trouble with a new install????

thanks again

autoconf2.1-2.13-24mdk.noarch.rpm

autoconf2.5-2.59-6mdk.noarch.rpm

Both are present in /main, so I guess that you either

a. didn't configure your urpmi sources properly, or

b. you picked by accident a broken/outdated mirror.

Try the anorien mirrors in UK, they are known to be reliable and up-to-date.

Edited by scarecrow

I am sorry but if I am doing something rediculous please hit me in the head!

here is my step by step

[root@localhost plugins]# urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/Mandrakel...6/media/contrib with media_info/hdlist.cz

medium "contrib" already exists

[root@localhost plugins]# urpmi auto

no package named auto

The following packages contain auto:

autodia

autofs

autogen

automake1.6

autopsy

autosmb

autosscep

autossh

autotrace

autozen

clusterautosetup-client

clusterautosetup-server

drakx-autoinstall-doc

libautogen0

libautogen0-devel

libautotrace3

libautotrace3-devel

xautolock

[root@localhost plugins]# urpmi autoconf

no package named autoconf

[root@localhost plugins]#

is it me??? am i the problem with linux?

If you get an error, please check that the mirror is accessible and not over it's connection limit. Also, you might want to type urpmi.removemedia -a first, in order to reinitialize urpmi's setup. ;) then add the mirrors as before, be sure to add all of them, ie main, contrib and update (and plf and plf non free too)...

Edited by ffi

I was wondering if there was a way to get that contrib file off and start over... I am about to just reinstall the whole OS and start from scratch.

well i did

#urpmi.remvoemedia -a

and got new up to date files from uk..

#urmpi autoconf

no package named autoconf

***** EDIT **** what I didnt do was use the plf part!!!!!!!! ****EDIT*****

NOW AUTOCONF IS INSTALLED!!!

Still lost and with out hope it appears.

Thanks

Looks like you aren't doing something right, as automake/autoconf have absolutely no relationship with PLF.

And as I said before, to avoid making typos on the console, just copy from the browser with the mouse and rightclick, and paste to the console with shift+ins (it works for konsole, xterm, gterm and probably other terminals as well).

Looks like you aren't doing something right, as automake/autoconf have absolutely no relationship with PLF.

And as I said before, to avoid making typos on the console, just copy from the browser with the mouse and rightclick, and paste to the console with shift+ins (it works for konsole, xterm, gterm and probably other terminals as well).

well before i was using one link in the easy urpmi setup. After i selected more of the download areas I got it to work!

I knew it was something that i was not doing correctly!

Thanks for all of your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!