Printer help

liquidzoo

Ok, I have searched all 3 boards and I haven't seen anyone post anything like this, so here goes:

I have an HP DeskJet USB printer that I have configured through CUPS. Everything went fine in the configuration and the test page printed out perfectly; so far, no problem.

Any time I try to print with any word processor (Kate, KWord, OpenOffice.org, etc.) all I get is a blank page. I have selected the cups driver from the print dialog, but all the printer does is start up, move the ink arm around a bit, then spit out a blank page.

Has anyone seen anything like this? If so, is there a way I can fix it? I had this printer working fine with 8.1, and it works in windows but who wants to restart their computer every time they want to print something?

surprisingly no. I tried to print a picture I had in The Gimp, and it worked just fine. Used up a hell of a lot of ink, but that's ok.

When I go to print a text file, everything looks like it should. The location of the printer is right at /dev/usb/lp0, the print system is set to CUPS. The other driver options I have are print through an external program (generic), generic UNIX LPD print system (default), LPR/LPRng print system, and RLPR environment (Remote LPD servers).

The only one of those that is configured anywhere close to correctly is CUPS. I tried changing the config in Printerdrake through MCC, but it just came up and froze on me. I'm really stumped as to what to do here. I can print graphics just fine, but regular text files are a no go.

THANK YOU!!!!!

That worked great. The driver was different, but I can now print from OpenOffice.org. It never occurred to me that the printer, while set up right in CUPS, would be incorrect in Printerdrake. Turns out that my system was looking for a printer that it was classifying as a "new Deskjet" and using the default CUPS driver. All I had to do was find the correct (Deskjet 632C) printer from the list, and there was the recommended driver ghostscript+hpjis. Works great now. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction