IDE controller Problem (new update)

Guest Bigster

Guest Bigster

Hi,

I´ve a dual boot machine thar one of them is the Mandriva 2006 Linux, that was working very well.

But i buy a Promise Ultra 133 TX2 Controller to install in my PC. It work fine in windows, i can see the IDE drives and it works very fine, but in Mandriva in the boot of the system, it simply hangs...

I´ve been very carefull to select the controller, and it saids in the controller´s manual the it support Linux (witch distribuition, it won´t say).

But the problem is that i´ve tryed to find some kind of explanation of this in the web, but nothing...

can anyone help me???

cheers

Welcome to the board :beer:

When booting, can you press ESC to view the boot sequence, and does it list an error message?

Can you post the error message for us?

Ultra 100 TX2 and Ultra 133 TX2 both work well with any kernel newer than 2.6.8 (I know because I owned both of them), so this shouldn't be an issue.

Just try fetching error messages the way ianw1974 suggested, or by switching to the kernel messages' VT (if I can recall well this is done by pressing ctrl+F4 with the Mandriva installation CD booting).

Edited by scarecrow

Guest Bigster

Hi,

i´m sorry because i´m posting the same thing again, but i try to get the message error of my Mandriva System (picture) and put it in the reply of my original post, but it fails.

After reading the rules of posting, i realize that i´m not authorized to attach files, so i´m writing the boot of my Mandriva System...

[Original Post]

"Hi,

I´ve a dual boot machine thar one of them is the Mandriva 2006 Linux, that was working very well.

But i buy a Promise Ultra 133 TX2 Controller to install in my PC. It work fine in windows, i can see the IDE drives and it works very fine, but in Mandriva in the boot of the system, it simply hangs...

I´ve been very carefull to select the controller, and it saids in the controller´s manual the it support Linux (witch distribuition, it won´t say).

But the problem is that i´ve tryed to find some kind of explanation of this in the web, but nothing...

can anyone help me???

cheers"

[boot error (a lot of work)]

BIOS EDD facility v0.16 2004-Jun-25, 4 devices found

devfs_mk_dev: could not append to parent for md/0

md: Autodetecting RAID arrays

md: autorun ...

md: ... autorun DONE.

RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0

EXT2-fs warning: checktime reached, running e2fsck is recommended

VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem)

input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0

Red Hat nash version 4.2.17mdk starting

Loading jbd.ko module

Loading ext3.ko module

Mounting /proc filesystem

Mounting sysfs

Creating device files

Mounting tmpfs on /dev

Creating root device

Mounting root filesystem /dev/root

mount: error 6 mounting ext3 flags defaults

well, retrying without the option flags

mount: error 6 mounting ext3

well, retrying read-only without any flag

mount: error 6 mounting ext3

pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed:2

umount /initrd/sys failed: 2

umount /initrd/proc failed: 2

Initrd finished

Freeing unused kernel memory: 268k freed

Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found. try passing init = option to kernel

cheers

It's a simple problem IMHO. You appear to have moved your hard drive from your onboard ide controller to your Promise controller. Linux identifies hard drives and partitions by where they are on the ide bus. For example, when you did your install say the hard drive that you installed to was on the primary onboard ide channel as master and you installed to the second primary partition on that drive. Linux would designate that as /dev/hda2 and all your config files will reference /dev/hda2 as the location of your root partition. Now lets say you move your hard drive to the first ide channel on your promise card. Linux now identifies that drive as /dev/hde and the root partition as /dev/hde2. Unfortunately, when you go to boot, all your config files are still referencing your root partition as /dev/hda2, i.e. your lilo bootloader is looking for the root partition on /dev/hda2 but there is nothing there now because you moved the drive to the promise controller which linux sees as /dev/hde2. The result is a kernel panic(no init found error message) which is merely linux telling you it can't find the root partition where it expects it to be on /dev/hda2.

Basically, what you have to do is edit two config files, /ect/fstab and /etc/lilo.conf, to bring them in line with the new position of the hard drive on the ide bus. The easiest way to do that is with a bootable livecd like knoppix or slax. That will allow access to these files so you can make the necessary changes to these files so the system can find your partitions again in their new location. So for a first step in correcting this problem, download slax here:

http://slax.linux-live.org/download.php

Slax is nice because it's a smaller download(192 MB) and boots into a kde desktop. Once you get this far and have a bootable slax cd, post back and I'll walk you through the steps to correct the problem using slax.

Guest Bigster

Hi,

I did what you told me...

I download the Slax iso and run it.

when i try to see what it´s wrong you me fstab and lilo.conf of my mandriva linux, i can´t... everything is fine to me...

this is the 2 files that you suggest were wrong:

[LILO.CONF]

File generated by DrakX/drakboot

# WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this file

default="linux"

boot=/dev/hda

map=/boot/map

keytable=/boot/pt-latin1.klt

menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw

prompt

nowarn

timeout=100

message=/boot/message

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux"

root=/dev/hda5

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="resume=/dev/hda6 splash=silent"

vga=788

other=/dev/hda1

label="windows"

table=/dev/hda

[FSTAB]

/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults 1 1

/dev/hdc1 /mnt/Amov1_1 vfat nls=iso8859-15,rw 0 0

/dev/hdc5 /mnt/Amov1_2 ntfs nls=iso8859-15,rw 0 0

/dev/hdc6 /mnt/Amov1_3 vfat iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850 0 0

/dev/sda1 /mnt/BIG_DISK auto defaults 0 0

/dev/sdb1 /mnt/PEN_DISK auto defaults 0 0

/dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom auto user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 auto user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

/dev/hda7 /mnt/disk_2 vfat nls=iso8859-15,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,rw 0 0

/dev/hda8 /mnt/disk_3 vfat nls=iso8859-15,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,rw 0 0

/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto user,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,codepage=850,noauto,exec,users 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_src ntfs nls=iso8859-15,ro 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

none /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0

/dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0

this is the mount table of the Slax live CD

floppy/ hda5/ hda8/ hdc1/ hdf1/ hdf6/ sda1/

hda1/ hda7/ hdb_cdrom/ hdd_cdrom/ hdf5/ live/

can you tell me what´s wrong????

cheers

Your hard rive is no longer hda if you moved it to the promise controller; that's what's wrong. Boot into slax again(root login), open a console and run:

# fdisk -l

Post the output here. That will tell me where your hard drive is as far as linux is concerned. We can make the necessary changes from there.

Guest Bigster

Hi,

this is the output of my #fdisk -l

I think the linux disk continues to be hda5???

Disk /dev/hdf: 41.1 GB, 41174138880 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 5005 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot	  Start		 End	  Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdf1   *		   1		1785	14337981	c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/hdf2			1786		5005	25864650	f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hdf5			1786		4080	18434556	7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hdf6			4081		5005	 7430031	b  W95 FAT32

Disk /dev/hda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/hda1   *		   1		1275	10241406	7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda2			1276		9729	67906755	f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hda5			1276		2550	10241406   83  Linux
/dev/hda6			2551		2680	 1044193+  82  Linux swap
/dev/hda7			2681		5229	20474811	b  W95 FAT32
/dev/hda8			5230		9729	36146218+   b  W95 FAT32

Disk /dev/hdc: 3241 MB, 3241082880 bytes
128 heads, 63 sectors/track, 785 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 8064 * 512 = 4128768 bytes

/dev/hdc1   *		   1		 784	 3161056+   b  W95 FAT32

Disk /dev/sda: 131 MB, 131072000 bytes
16 heads, 32 sectors/track, 500 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 512 * 512 = 262144 bytes

/dev/sda1   *		   1		 499	  127728	b  W95 FAT32

Fdisk -l lists all the partitions linux recognizes, whether they are mounted or not. Comparing your fdisk output with your fstab, I can deduce the following. It looks like you moved the drive that was on hdc to the promise controller and it is now hdf and then you put another drive on hdc containing only one FAT32 partition. Hda is where you have linux installed and that was not moved. That's just for starters.

The drive on the promise controller is probably not jumpered correctly as well since hdf indicates that the hard drive is configured as a slave drive on the promise ide1 channel with nothing on that channel configured as master which would be hde in linux unless you have an optical drive there now. Having an optical on the promise controller is not a good idea and may be part of your problem if that is the case. You also seem to have lost sdb which may either be a sata drive, an external usb mass storage device or scsi drive.

I need to now your starting configuration in detail, i.e. what drives were on which ide channel and whether they were master or slave. And exactly what you moved were. I also need to know what sda and sdb are.

I think the misconfigured drive on the promise controller is your main problem. You also have some erroneous entries in you fstab for hdc since that has been moved to the promise controller. That can cause the boot process to hang but shouldn't give a kernel panic. Double check your jumpering on the promise drive and for the time being make the following edits to fstab commenting out some potentially troubling entries:

/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults 1 1

#/dev/hdc1 /mnt/Amov1_1 vfat nls=iso8859-15,rw 0 0

#/dev/hdc5 /mnt/Amov1_2 ntfs nls=iso8859-15,rw 0 0

#/dev/hdc6 /mnt/Amov1_3 vfat iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850 0 0

/dev/sda1 /mnt/BIG_DISK auto defaults 0 0

#/dev/sdb1 /mnt/PEN_DISK auto defaults 0 0

/dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom auto user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 auto user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

/dev/hda7 /mnt/disk_2 vfat nls=iso8859-15,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,rw 0 0

/dev/hda8 /mnt/disk_3 vfat nls=iso8859-15,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,rw 0 0

/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto user,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,codepage=850,noauto,exec,users 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_src ntfs nls=iso8859-15,ro 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

none /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0

/dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0

Commenting out the hdc entries is fstab may help but that hdf drive on the promise controller is just not right. It should be hde if properly jumpered/cabled, i.e., it should be set to master on promise ide1.

Edit: Just thought of something else. I have a Promise Ultra 100 card that I have been using in linux for many years. My card specifically states that it will not accept optical drives; attempting to do so causes booting problems in linux and other problems in windows. It's a hard drive only device. Also, the card's documentation states that the boot drive(that would be your current hda drive) must be moved to the promise controller. You obviously didn't do that since your boot drive is still on hda(onboard ide1 master). Your promise card is obviously much newer than mine and may not have the same limitations but check your documentation.

Edited by pmpatrick