Slowww... Sloww... mandriva...!

ahmad

Hi.. i'm new with Linux... but i'm dreaming to get red of Windows for good.. but Mandriva 2006 Doesn't give me the performance i was hoping for...

i just installed Madriva Free 2006 on my intel® CPU 2.4 GHz , 480MB of RAM the Partestion where it's installed is 5G and contains nothing but Mandriva

i know it's not an amazing machine.. but it used to work fine with Windows XP... but with Mandriva (KDE 3.4) it's REALLY SLOW... it takes me 5 minets after duble clicking my (Home) icone to open.. may be 7 minets to open firfox from the taskbar...!!!

i read a few stuff on the internet about internal cash and ways to set up the system to increase the performance.. but i don't know how to do it.. i'm really new.. :(

i hope to make it run finally...

thanks

Welcome to the board :beer:

What partitions did you create during the installation? Did you create a swap, or did you just choose the defaults?

Have you also applied updates? Another reason for a slow machine is this, open a console window and type:

urpme kat

because this slows everything down so much, and is the first thing to remove. You'll probably find when you remove this, that it will work much more normally. Another alternative, if you don't want to use the command line, is to click System/Configuration/Packaging/Remove Software. Then choose the "All" option and type "kat" in the box and click search. Then tick the box and click Remove.

To get updates on, go to easy-urpmi at the top of this page, and set up your sources for main, contrib, jpackage, plf-free, plf-nonfree and updates. These are good repositories for downloading additional software for your install.

the scary part of all this is that we've seen many threads where kat was the downfall of the performance of so many of our machines. ahmad, your machine is as good a computer (you have the faster cpu and i have more ram) as mine and my computer outperforms itself while i'm in linux (with kde 3.5) as compared to in windows xp.

i second ian's question. what partitions did you create? further i also recommend doing what ian suggests with the easy-urpmi. updates can make a world of difference in your compy.

i don't know about the partition .. it was created already by dos in this harddrive... the installing wizard asked me to format this partition and i did...

i didn't apply for updates during instalation... i'll look for it now as you suggested.. thanks..

i used this console for my 1st time now :) i typed what you seid... and it's keep givin me:

[ahmad@a-n4zavyod9o2q8 ~]$ urpme kat

bash: urpme: command not found

i tried many other commands it gives me the same thing... seems like in general i have a very limited access on my Computer!!! i don't know why..!

even with copying files from Folder to Other!

well i believe you are the only person on earth who gives ppl alternative ways then typing on console.... THAAANKS!

well.. i tried as you seid to choose the "All" option and type "kat" in the box and click search. it gave me 4 things ready to be removed.. whin i click some of them .. it worn me .. that it'll be needed to remove other stuff if i wont to remove this... is it OK?

thanks for your time.. and for your effort here...

a.

Normally, should only need to select kat and remove this. The others can be left.

The urpme command only works as root, so normally:

su (enter root password when prompted)
urpme kat

is my fault I forgot to mention it :P

For the partitions, easy way to find out:

su (enter root password when prompted)
fdisk -l

this will list the physical disk partitions, but you can also do:

cat /etc/fstab

which lists your mount points and probably better and more informative for us.

WOW... Finally i work with Console...!

thanks Man... I don't believe it!

i tried Fdisk -1

here is what i gut:

Device Boot	  Start		 End	  Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *		   1		 764	 6136798+  83  Linux
/dev/hda2			 765	   14593   111081442+   5  Extended
/dev/hda5			 765		 904	 1124518+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/hda6			 905	   14593   109956861   83  Linux

is it good or bad.. I'm Lost here!

That's OK, this is just to show the file system types. Use:

cat /etc/fstab

to show mount points, etc. But it does look like you have swap configured, because I can see it on /dev/hda5.

thnks again... now the updats are downloading @ the Konsole...

it'll take some time...

after it's done... do i need to do addetional thing to install it .. or that's it?

can i use

cat /etc/fstab

while the Konsole is doing something else like downloading?!

Nope, that's the system up and running. Then it's just a case of adding new packages as and when you need them. If you added all the urpmi sources from easy-urpmi using the link at the top of this page, you can get access to lots more software.

Add main, contrib, jpackage, plf-free, plf-nonfree and updates to get everything you need. It's rare to need to install something from source just yet, unless it's not in the repository. But practice using the system first before you get to compiling and installing your own apps from source.

The situation now is:

1- i've reemoved Kat using Konsole succsesfully...

2 - the Konsole kept downlaoding and writing stuff.. but i think it's done with Easy-Urpm but i don't know how to Make sure of that...

System speed increased i have to admit... not it takes me 17 sec to open Firefox it's a way faster.. but still slow comparing to Xp

is it all?

or should i restart?

should i use KDE 3.5?

Just disable services you won't need, and forget about KDE 3.5.0, either from SoS or Thac... As a new Linux user you should avoid mixing repositories, until the day you are really familiar with the OS.

The best way to make Mandriva faster is rolling a light kernel of your own and getting rid of the overfed+sluggish stock kernel, but this isn't a job for a new Linux user, either...

Edited by scarecrow