Setting up my intranet

Guest nickademus420

Guest nickademus420

Hello. I recently installed Mandriva Linux Limited Edition 2006 using 3 cds that came with a Linux Format special edition magazine.

I am into the KDE desktop and have pretty much configured everything but my soundcard and my network.

I have found that this version of the Kernel, 2.4 I think, does not support the Rockwell Riptide Sound Card that I have, I will just go buy a new, cheap, supported card.

So, the big problem, is that I have no experience with a Linux network, and cannot seem to find the right program and or settings to see the other 2 computers on our 3 computer network.

All 3 are on the internet, so that is a good thing.

All 3 have an ethernet connection to a router which is on a cable connection.

Please advise as I have tinkered with Samba, and SMB4K and still have no idea how to link them up.

Thank you in advance.

:wall:

Welcome to the board!

Now, did you configure properly your NIC?

Can you ping other computers on a network (type 'ping ip_of_a_remote_computer)?

Have you created a shared folder/space on you linux mashine in samba? (you can post your '/etc/samba/smb.conf' file so we could see your samba configuration file.

Also: How-To set up Samba Networking

Are you sure you have a 2.4 kernel? Reason I ask is the last 2.4 kernel in Mandrake/Mandriva was version 9.x. Version 10.0 and higher have always been 2.6. Mandriva 2006 has kernel 2.6.12.12 by default and latest is 2.6.12.18 from last time I updated.

Guest nickademus420

You are probably right about the Kernel, but I don't know where to check that at.

Would you prefer that I post a link to the /etc/samba/smb.conf file, or just a text paste onto a post?

The easiest way to check your kernel version is with:

uname -r

this will just report the kernel version. If you want more information:

uname -a

the a reports all information.

Guest nickademus420

Yes. For the first computer I got back: "Destination Host Unreachable"

For the second computer I got back: 46 packets transmitted, 46 received, 0% packet loss, time 45082ms

rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.166/0.174/0.211/0.019 ms

And those are the only other 2 computers on the network.

Guest nickademus420

Alright, so I looked at a few things, and now using Smb4k I can see one of my computers from the other two.

Now, I know my computers end IP"s are .102, .103, and .104

I don't know how to tell which one is for which computer though.

And, they all don't see each other when I ping them, they hang.

So, how do I look at all three computers on my network and share files between them all?

And thanks for the welcome, it is much appreciated.

Edited by nickademus420

Have you got firewall enabled on these machines? This will be why you can't ping them. You can disable this within the Windows machines, or enable ICMP so that they reply to pings.

Guest nickademus420

I have no firewall setup on the linux machines, other than I chose "high" on my security settings on all 3.

This was default.

When I am running windows on my machine, it has the windows firewall up, but currently I have only the linux boxes running.

How would I enable ICMP?

If no firewalls on Linux, then icmp is enabled and the machines will reply. A way to check just in case:

rpm -qa | grep shorewall

just in case. If it lists an entry for shorewall, type:

service shorewall stop

on all machines and see if you can ping then. In Windows, you have to go into the network connection properties and advanced tab to be able to disable firewall.