mandriva 2006

Guest alpa

Guest alpa

I am using Mandriva 2006.0 RC2 from December 2005.

I is great for me.

Now I would install it in my Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo notebook, but configuration of my video card ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 SE fails.

So I tried to change video card configuration but nothing ...

Finally I installed Kubuntu 6.06, but I hope to remove it soon...

I would know if my Mandriva 2006.0 RC2 is the latest release or I can try with a newer version.

I will appreciate to install directly using KDE3.5.2 , if is is a stable version.

Any idea about when Mandriva will give us a newer version ?

Thank you.

Alpa

RC releases are beta releases. Therefore you need to download the official release. These can be obtained from the ftp mirrors.

anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk is a good mirror to get the download from if need be.

Today Mandriva One was offically released. Mandriva One is a new all-in-one CD, including a live system to run Mandriva 2006 on any computer with a CDROM drive, it includes all the great Mandriva Linux 2006 software suite, such as KDE, Mozilla-Firefox, Gimp and OpenOffice.org.

You can find Mandriva One here:

http://www.mandriva.com/en/downloads/mirrors/mandrivaone

I'll stick with 2006, too much hassle to upgrade :P

Might download it though to use as a LiveCD, would be handy for this certainly. And much easier than downloading 3 x CD's or 1 x DVD on my slow 256kbps broadband connection.

Hopefully 2007 shall be released around November, I'll most likely upgrade to that when it's out. Will keep me busy ;)

Guest alpa

So wich is the latest release of Mandriva 2006 Free ?

I can find only a release of November 2005 . It is this the latest ?

Somebody can give me address of mirrors to download the best and newer version ?

The official release of Mandriva 2006 was in November 2005. You can download it from www.mandriva.com/en/downloads/mirrors/2006iso.

Once you've got it installed, use the EasyUrpmi link at the top of this page to set up your software sources, and then get all the latest updates via the Mandriva Control Centre ('Configure your Computer' on the menu). :)

Guest alpa

I have Mandriva Free 2006 installed.

Has got sense to upgrade my Mandriva using Mandriva One just now released ? Could I have improvements ?

My actual settings will be overwritten ?

If I have an ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 SE video card on my Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo notebook, the new Mandriva One distro will rubn without troubles ? Actually Mandriva Free 2006 can not configure X !

Thank you.

Mandriva One is just a version of Mandriva 2006 that fits on one CD. It is basically a live CD, which means you can run it from the CD without installing. You can install it, but obviously it has a lot less software than the full version. The updates you get will not be more recent, as they come from the same source.

If you're having problems configuring X, please give more details so someone can help you.

ATI cards are a nightmare. If they don't work with the open source drivers with the distro, then you have to download the drivers from ATI. And even these don't always work easily.

Nvidia cards are better and much easier to configure, I wouldn't buy anything else now, even though I bought an ATI, never will again. ATI are OK for Windows, since that's what they mostly support. They didn't even acknowledge Linux until later. But I guess it was too late, and even now it's very hit and miss.

Unfortunately, not as straightforward as nvidia cards :P. It's a painful process, or at least I've found and I would never buy another ATI card if I intended to use Linux on that machine.

Guest alpa

I understand very well.

I love Mandriva, but in this case it is clear that other distro like Ubuntu take advantages.

I know that Mandrivausers is a community that discuss only of Mandriva, but how to you think to migrate from Mandriva to Kubuntu.

I tried the newer Dapper Drake 6.06 and it is really good, even if Mandriva with the same hardware support would be the best, sure !

You won't be able to upgrade one distro to another. If you have a separate partition/mount point for /home, then you can just reinstall the / partition with the new distro that works for you.

I normally configure Mandriva with ATI (fglrx) which works perfectly fine for the majority of cards out there. I'm surprised your having difficulty getting it working. Is Plug and Play OS disabled in your BIOS? This can cause hardware detection problems, and maybe is a reason why you're screen won't configure correctly.

But, some distros will work better than others, so choose what's best for you and your hardware.

I know that Mandrivausers is a community that discuss only of Mandriva.
Ummm, no. We deal with "problems" of almost any distro you throw at us. Many of us use and know more than only Mandriva. ;)