Program installation problem

jagwah

Hi, I am trying to install GTKRadiant 1.5, (it is a level editor for the Quake series of games and Doom3 and others, anyway) when I first tried to install it, it gave me this,

gtkglext >= 1.0.0 is needed by gtkradiant-1.5.0-7.i386

libgdkglext-x11-1.0.so.0 is needed by gtkradiant-1.5.0-7.i386

libgtkglext-x11-1.0.so.0 is needed by gtkradiant-1.5.0-7.i386

libmhash.so.2 is needed by gtkradiant-1.5.0-7.i386

mhash >= 0.9.0 is needed by gtkradiant-1.5.0-7.i386

so I did the dance and got what was needed, all except for the last one "mhash >= 0.9.0 is needed by gtkradiant-1.5.0-7.i386" when I tried to get it I was told,

no package named mhash

The following packages contain mhash:

libmhash2

libmhash2-devel

php-mhash

php4-mhash

So I checked these out, I was told that the first 2 were already installed, but still no joy, so I installed the last 2. Then I tried to install GTKRadiant again, but I got the following,

error: Failed dependencies:

mhash >= 0.9.0 is needed by gtkradiant-1.5.0-7.i386

What am I to do?

What version did you install?

Well, like a well oiled newbie, I wouldn't have a clue. I just used urpmi 'suggested package name', it installed it, kept going through the list of things the GTKRadiant said it needed, until I got to the mhash thing. That seems to be all it is asking for now, but......

rpm -qa | grep mhash; show as being installed?

This is what I get,

php-mhash-5.0.4-1mdk

libmhash2-devel-0.9.2-2mdk

libmhash2-0.9.2-2mdk

php4-mhash-4.4.0-1mdk

2 of those were already installed, the 2 php ones I installed, all 4 of them were said to contain mhash.

:unsure:

Edited by jagwah

I've seen similar with something I attempted to install previously, and even though everything matched, it wouldn't take the installed software into account and just would not install no matter what I tried.

You might want to try installing mhash from source, and see if you have a better luck with it. I have a funny feeling that some of the rpms are just a kind of patched version, and maybe the package your attempting to install is finding a mix of 0.9.2 and previous versions that don't meet it's criteria and is failing because of this.

This is the conclusion I came to when my respective package didn't install, and I never did solve it, other than use an alternative product for the task I wanted to achieve.

you could allways try the force option..

down load the files you want to install. run

rpm -f filename

i think that will do it with out check for dependencies. Then test to see if the program works for you..

If it does good luck if not then uninstall...

It has worked in the past with some programs for me.

You might want to try installing mhash from source, and see if you have a better luck with it.

Thanks, I just gave that a whirl, but still no dice, I get the following,

"Some package requested cannot be installed:

gtkradiant-1.5.0-7.i386 (due to unsatisfied mhash[>=0.9.0])"

you could allways try the force option..

down load the files you want to install. run

rpm -f filename

i think that will do it with out check for dependencies.

I haven't tried that, although I had a bit of a look at the '-f' option, I think the option to force not to check for dependencies is '--nodeps' ? .

-f was something else if I was reading correctly, but there was way to much for me to read now. Thanks anyway, and please correct me if I am wrong,

Edited by jagwah