Conexant Rockwell Linmodem IRQ problem/question

Steve Scrimpshire

I d/l-ed the Conexant driver for my modem and installed it. It works fine except for one problem. When connecting or disconnecting from the net (whenver a program is actually communicating with the modem and sending commands), it lags my mouse....moving the mouse, the pointer stays put and catches up to the current mouse location a second or two later. By checking

/proc/interrupts:

CPU0       

0:     228731          XT-PIC  timer

1:       7861          XT-PIC  keyboard

2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade

9:        912          XT-PIC  es1371

10:         23          XT-PIC  usb-ohci

11:     238834          XT-PIC  nvidia, hcf

12:      50997          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse

14:      44083          XT-PIC  ide0

15:        321          XT-PIC  ide1

NMI:          0 

LOC:     228689 

ERR:        284

MIS:          0

I discovered that my modem shares an IRQ with my video card and then it made sense. I tried to change the irq that the modem uses by using setserial, but got 'invalid parameters' error every time I tried because I didn't know what to put for the value of 'uart'. Apparently, whatever the driver sets for this is not listed anywhere...I tried 'lspci -v' and everything else I could think of and it always listed the value as 'undefined'. And even though setserial never actually did anything, suddenly, I could connect to the net, but not browse by name or IP. Browsing by name gave me 'Host unknown' and attempting to browse by IP gave me 'connection refused'. Reinstalling the driver did no good, but recompiling the kernel fixed it. Back to square one. Any ideas?

I just rebooted for the first time after recompiling the kernel and ran into this problem again:

I could connect to the net, but not browse by name or IP. Browsing by name gave me 'Host unknown' and attempting to browse by IP gave me 'connection refused'

Disconnecting and reconnecting a few dozen times fixed it........hmmmmmmmmmm.....haven't tried to do setserial since i recompiled.

I have the conexant HFS56K (don't use it anymore) that used the

hsflinmodem-5.03.27mbsibeta02122600-1.i686.rpm

configured with

hsfconfig

You can not use setserial with these conexant winmodem because of the sudo ttySHFS0 it uses which is not a real ttySx. I don't know if there is a way to change the irq. Maybe through a boot command to the kernel?

I discovered that my modem shares an IRQ with my video card and then it made sense.
Mine did the same thing but I never experienced any probs.

I did experience a lock of some sort a couple of times a week where the modem wouldn't respond or connect, but a reboot fixed it. I do know that the hfslinmodem drivers are kernel specific and have to be recompiled with hfsconfig after a kernel compile or upgrade. Don't know what else to tell ya :(

Thanks for the info. Guess it's time for a new modem then. I just got back online after the last post...it turns out that the connect was a fluke apparently. I couldn't connect again and had to reinstall to get it all working again. Thanks again for the info.