PCQlinux 2006

wakish

Hello everyone..

I recently bought a linux mag in which i got free CDs fo PCQLinux 2006.

Being curious about it, i tried it. It offers a large pletora of programs for all purposes. Very nice programs in it.

But the cons i saw was:

1) The installations are too irritating..each time you have to read a lot of its user-agreement before some of the installations can be done.

2) The desktop is not really userfriendly.

3) There is not such thing as "devices" in its desktop nor in its startup, which is inconvenient

4) It could not detect my other common partitions unlike Mandriva which did it automatically.

5) While installing, it only creates a root account unlike mandriva

Some questions:

a) Why is PCQLinux not figured on distrowatch? i looked for it there, did not find it..

b ) Why does the mozilla in PCQLinux loads websites more faster than the one in Mandriva 2006

Some thoughts:

i) Mandriva could provide those loads of useful programs like those provided by PCQ. I find all these softwares very nice and helpful..no hastle of searching and downloading..you just have to pick one at "home".

ii) If Mandriva and PCQ combined their installation options..this would have been perfect :)

Last but not the least, a striking feature i noticed was that PCQ offered a "Grid technology related software ".

Well, thats all i found in using PCQ for some few hours ;) (But i will try all those many progs soon :) )

All views are welcomed..

Cheers!

Edited by wakish

I had trouble finding what it is. Then I found it to be part of Cybermedia, and some other oddities, like this link.

Can you provide a source for the distro? A download location?

Looks a bit of a joke.

Seems that a mag has just remastered fedora to include a few more apps, then rebranded it as their own in a weak attempt to sell some more copies.

If as the url linked by Ixthusdan is true, this 'distro' deserves no more attention.

James

edit: A tad more googling shows that they do indeed violate the gpl.

Edited by iphitus

Ixthusdan in the mag, i saw only this source unfortunately:

http://forums.pcquest.com/forum/

But i guess this might be enough, since it is the source forum of that distro just like here for Mandriva...just browse the 2006 version.

Well, myself, it is the first time i came across this distro..and never found it on net or at distrowatch..

Tell me your views..

Regards!

We are not a "source" for Mandriva. We are a community who supports those wishing to use Mandriva, and in feact, other linux distros. But we neither publish nor distribute Mandriva. The link you gave is the same forum which I found; but a forum does not make a distro.

I can refer you to the company Mandriva as well as to their download sites and mirrors. Even SuSE linux, which is technically not a "free" distro has a website (by the same name) from which one might see what the distro is about. But this theoretical distro does not. The forum offers nothing by way of an explanation as to who made PCQlinux or where it can be obtained. It is therefore a "ghost." Apparently, it is only available through a magazine. I can't think of any rationale justifying not utilizing the internet as a distribution medium.

Iphitus is correct. This is a product that is really a clone of something else and is a violation of the gpl since no credit is given. I would not load it on my box under such conditions.

sry Ixthusdan, i made the wrong use of the word "source" here..but my intention was to use it like you said for the forum ;)

Yeah, it seems to be a clone..with many features..i think there are feautres taken from fedora, mepis and suse..but i'm not sure..

By the way, how can that distro be distributed and have a forum when it violates the GPL as you said???

Well, i loaded it only out of curiosity dude ;)

I always have a small spare partition to test new distro whenver i have the chance to get one :)

So that distro is on that partition..but will not be there for long :P

Whereas Mandriva is my main distro :D

Edited by wakish

PCQLinux is made by PCQuest. A google search for "PCQuest Linux" will return a few results. It is a real distro, it's been reviewed a few times.

Depends on what you mean by real distro. This one is only available, once a year on the cover of the PC Quest magazine. Doesnt sound like much of a distro to me, more just a marketing scheme.

Doesnt sound like much of a distro to me, more just a marketing scheme.

well, that distro is free in magasins man..

Lol Ixthusdan..heheh..nice comment! :lol2:

By the way, i alo saw that Mandriva formats its native partition in ext2 while PCQLinux2006 in ext3 :huh:

Edited by wakish

Mandriva always automatically formats in ext3 unless it's changed manually by the user. Or at least what I've found from using Mandrake 10.0, 10.1, LE2005 and 2006.

But i'm using Mandriva 2006, not found the ext3 :( :mellow: :huh:

Anywayz, that does not matter, does it? :unsure:

No, not really, ext2 and ext3 are more or less the same, except ext3 is ext2 with journaling. ext2 doesn't have journaling so in the event of a crash you possibly would lose data. I think it's relatively easy to convert ext2 to ext3 and vice versa.