Strange DVD writing problem [solved]

Patkos Csaba

I use Mandriva 2006.0 Free DVD edition

I have LG-4167B (I think) DVD-+Writer (secondary master) and a Compaq CDROM (primary slave)

PC is Compaq Evo 300D (P3 1100Mhz)

When I write a CD-R or CD-RW everithing is OK.

But, when I write a DVD+R it is written without error messages, but after that when I put it in the DVD drive ... it is reported as blank disk. On Windows the same written disk is empty too. If I start XCDRoast (which I use to write disks on linux - K3B crashes - but this is another issue) it can see the written track. On windows Nero7 also can see that there is a track on the dvd disk. Even it can save it to a .nrg file ... of course the saved file is impossible to be mounted in DaemonTools or similar. On Windows DVD's can be written whitout problems ... so it is not a hardware failiure.

Also it may be an incompatibility whit my bios/chipset I think, becouse if in bios "Power Saveing" option is set to disabled no CD's or DVD's can be written, the simtomps are the same. Write=>OK=>imossible to READ. With "Power Saveing" enabled CD's are OK, but DVD's are not. Also I mention that "halt" command doeas a reboot on my system - don't know why.

I plan to play with the bios settings and try DVD-R disks too. Till then, please help with any ideeas, tell me what should I check, or if you need any logs/outputs/configs to help write me which one to post here. THANX A LOT.

I think you might have done what I did once, and tried to burn the DVD, but using CD settings within whatever burn program you used. I use K3B in Linux, and did use the CD mode once, and that might be why.

Normally, best thing to do is from the project menu in K3B is choose burn DVD iso or one of the other DVD options here.

Although, do correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I think might have happened.

I can not use K3B. It never worked on my system. On hardware detection it crashes the hole system. But XCDRoast works just fine. In Xcdroast I SELECTED the apropiate 4.7GB option before writeing ...

Also you may have some right in what you are saying. In fact I think that somehow the Lead-In is written wrong. I will try know to download K3B and install the newest version.

Also I updated the "dbus" package and something went wrong becouse it can not start know. Could this be the problem? [DBUS PROBLEM SOLVED]

[DVD PROBLEM NOT SOLVED]

Edited by Patkos Csaba

What do you use to burn with x-cd roast?

Tha patched cdrecord that comes with Mandriva won't work- you have to use Shilly's cdrecord-ProDVD and enter the key for it in the program options.

K3B hasn't crashed for me the last two years once... or rather failed to burn a couple of DVD's some months ago, but this was a 2.6.15 kernel bug, which got sorted soon.

I partially solved the problem. It was a combined dbus and dvd disk problem. For those hwo has same problems like me:

- original dbus packages was reinstalled, know working fine

- there may be some driver issues with this dvd writer. I could successfully burn DVD-R disks only, DVD+R disks can not be written. An ATAPI info in XCDRoast returns only DVD-R write capabilities. Also it is possible that the previously tried DVD-R disk was damaged...

- know I can write DVD-R disks. If anyone managed to write with this writer DVD+R disks please tell me.

- the K3B => system crash still misteriouse... anyway I'm pleased with XCDRoast

with cdrecord-ProDVD will I be able to write DVD+R disks? It is free? Couldn't find any exact description ... a link may be usefull... Thanks

Edited by Patkos Csaba

Yes, proDVD is free (although not GPL). Read this at xcdroast site:

http://www.xcdroast.org/xcdr098/README.ProDVD.txt

I can't know if DVD+R burning will work for you... which firmware version your drive uses?

Here x-cd roast does not work at all with kernel 2.6.16 (it just vanishes when pressing the "setup" button.

You could try graveman if you have trouble with K3B, it's a good program.

Edited by scarecrow

Installed Graveman ... it is preatty beautifull ... but still unable to write DVD+R disks. :(

I already have a XCDRoast version capable of writeing DVD's ... :) ... it is the modified version from Mandrica DVD...

Firmware is DL11

Edited by Patkos Csaba

I installed cdrecord-ProDVD and know I have full DVD support, I'm able to write DVD-R and DVD+R too.

The only little problem is that I must run xcdroast as root from terminal with "-n" option. Even with user options properly set in XCDRoast it does not allow cdrecord.prodvd to write disks of any kind. But as root everithing is perfect.

Thanks for all your help.