Why constant disk access every 4/5 secs ?

Guest eagleRock

Guest eagleRock

ML 9.0 installed and enjoy greatly - but have nonStop disk access every 4 or 5 seconds. Have looked in MCC/services and ksysguard but not really see what process could be doing this. Sorry about being vague, will happily supply other details - if i new what they were...:-)

Thanks for your time

Tim

that could be part of the journaling filesystem doing. Anyway, I don't think it will hurt anything, but if you are in doubt, check whether there is any unwanted programs running. It could be some server or service that mandrake runs without you knowing it.

Guest niktarin
ML 9.0 installed and enjoy greatly - but have nonStop disk access every 4 or 5 seconds. Have looked in MCC/services and ksysguard but not really see what process could be doing this. Sorry about being vague, will happily supply other details - if i new what they were...:-)

Thanks for your time

Tim

It seems supermount is broken (Again!!) in mdk9.0. Have the same problem here. The only way around it for now is to disable supermount I'm afraid.

Nick

Supermount may in FACT be the source...

I've got problems with a machine, with two CD-drives... Every x seconds for about 6 times, he tries to find a CD layed in, independend of having one in or not.

This happens every time, i am entering /mnt.

Perhaps it's the same with the hd....

Guest eagleRock

Just ran as root and issued cmd "supermount disable"

What a relief - no more 4/5 secs hd access.

/etc/fstab had supermount attribute against: CD-R/DVD, CD-RW and floppy entries, above cmd removed.

Interesting thing noticed when "cat /etc/fstab" issued after above cmd was that supermount attribute still in file. I did supermount cmd on its own and help info showed use of -i or --infile option followed by "disable". The -i forces direct update to fstab file. This I confirmed by reviewing the file. Guess that disable used on its own is just modifying memory image? of fstab and not permanent...

Anyway, all the replies/feedback has been great - many thanks for help.

Tim