Problems Seeing windows folders

Guest Marcus Monteiro

Guest Marcus Monteiro

Hi Folks,

This is my new post.

I'm brazilian and at my office we've 4 workstations using Mandriva 2006. Everything was working fine until one dept need to share files between Linux and Windows machines. I thought, easy, and I made this :

windows machine:

Set a Share Folder "Public" with permissions to "Everyone".

Linux Machine:

Create a Folder called "Public" in "~/Documents"

Mount with smbfs type, the share folder "Public" to "~/Documents/Public"

No problems with the mount, but when we list the folder at Linux machine, the files that have special characters in their names, are listed with a code in place of the right char.

Example: "Declaração" is showed with "Declaraç:255eo"

And when we tried to use this files or open this folders with konqueror or by terminal an error message is displayed.

My Linux machine is configured to Brazilian Portuguese and works fine with our special char in KDE, OO, etc. I tried to put the options "isocharset=iso8859-1" and "codepage=cp850" in the mount command, but the problem still occur.

The only way to use this files in Linux machine is renaming in Windows Machine removing the special characters that Linux (or samba) don't recognize. They are "õ", "ã","É","Á" and others.

how I can fix it ? We have many foldes and files with special char in their names and renaming all will be a big problem and will give bad impression about "Linux" to my users...

Thanks,

Marcus

Edited by Marcus Monteiro

I can only think you'd need to install the kde-i18n-br language set on each of the machines for the support. Do you have this installed, and does it work? Or are you using english language support within the Linux machines instead? Or perhaps locales-br to be installed too.

You can check if it's installed by using:

rpm -qa | grep kde-i18n-br
rpm -qa | grep locales-br

and use:

urpmi kde-i18n-br
urpmi locales-br

to install it. It's all I can currently think of at the moment.

PS - Welcome to the board :beer:

There is perhaps an issue of the smaba setting for filename mangling as well.

I haven't used it for a long time but you can control the code pages samba uses to translate from the Windows longfilenames to linux filenames.

However, in general the whole way Windows does it is weird and can depend on how the locales are installed in Windows... even in Windows itself there are frequent issues with the way the internationalisation works... my GF's father has a scanner that resolutely maintains it wants to communicate in Spanish even though he has the French version of XP installed. Luckily he speaks fluent Spanish so we didn't mess about yet to try and fix it but issues like this often involve an inordinate amount of work to fix because fixing them changes something else that some other program is dependent on and the way the MFC's work now means that something like IE of a specific version needs to be installed in order to just use (actually install) something like Omnipage !

The main problem is as MS movs more into enctypted filesystems etc. and storing in a database this problem looks set to increase so you will probably work it out for now and then in the future be faced with a different headache which may actually be partly created by the way you handle this one....