I/O error reported for dev fd0

daniewicz

I have been seeing a few of these messages in /var/log/messages. They do not appear very often.

kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0

I first became aware of this error message when my Mandriva 2005 system rebooted on its own several weeks ago.

I replaced the floppy drive and all seemed well for several weeks and I haven't had any reboots.

This morning I reset my ADSL modem and the error message appeared again. Coincidence? Now I am concerned that I have a problem with the floppy controller on my motherboard?

Edited by daniewicz

I've only experienced this when running vmware, so not sure in what you were doing on your machine at the time you noticed these errors.

I also noticed a general slowing down of my machine when these errors were occuring. Although, I never get them when not using vmware, so probably not the same issue as yours.

What were you doing at the time you noticed the errors?

What were you doing at the time you noticed the errors?

Well I wasn't running vmware, since I don't know what that is :P

This morning it was the modem reboot that roughly coincided with the message.

The last time I got the message (several weeks ago) I couldn't recall what I was doing.

My system isn't used for much other than web browsing (firefox) and music playing (KsCD).

In the back of my mind I am wondering if this error is related to supermount some how??

I know not an ideal solution, but you could always comment out the /dev/fd0 line in /etc/fstab. This would mean it's disabled and unmountable, but might stop the floppy disk drive errors appearing in the logs.

I can't think of anything else other than this, unless it's a floppy drive or cable issue.

Well I suppose the cable could be bad. I do not think cable looseness is a problem since I did replace the floppy drive and therefore reset the cable connection.

I also placed a post on Ars Technica. Here is what they had to say:

You'll get these errors whenever something probes the floppy drive when there's no disk in there, say for example 'file -s /dev/fd0'

Apr 30 06:15:20 192 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0

Apr 30 06:15:21 192 last message repeated 2 times

If you attempt to mount the drive with no floppy the error will instead read:

Apr 20 06:04:41 192 kernel: VFS: Can't find an ext2 filesystem on dev fd0.

Apr 20 06:05:12 192 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0

Overall, if you can put a floppy in there and mount it fine, I wouldn't worry about it.