Have 9.2, want to update to 2006 [solved]

AmEyeMad?

Hi,

I have Mandrake 9.2 and Windows XP on my PC and I just bought a dvd of Mandriva 2006.

I would like to know if I install Mandriva 2006 will it update my current version of Mandrake or do I have to install 10.0 etc first?

Can you go from 9.2 straight to 2006?

Hi, many thanks for the posts! :thumbs:

I'm sure I partitioned my HD 3 ways for Linux (they suggested it by default).

What would happen to these 3 partitions, would 2006 recognise them and use them for the respective replacements or would I need to uninstall 9.2 first?

Also, you might want to delete you old user dir's like .kde. I find that there are changes that might not carry over. Like differences in sounds if you use them, backgrounds and other settings. Save your data but delete the program dirs. Just save your .mozilla and .thunderbird directories if you use them.

I just thought I would add to the post :P

You can upgrade, but the majority of people will recommend clean installs. This is because they are so much better. I've always experienced little niggles and problems from upgrades that never were there when I did a clean install.

The main problems to overcome with anything pre Mandrake 10.1 is the fact they were using devfsd, whereas from 10.1 onwards they used udev. You can overcome this simple enough, so it's not a major problem as such.

I have done a number of upgrades, some from CD/DVD media, and others from urpmi sources. In my opinion they work mostly the same, except that with urpmi your downloading from your internet connection, which saves the need to burn CD/DVD media. But the problem then comes that if you need to reinstall, you'd have to install the old version first and then urpmi again. So the CD/DVD is best to have if you want to get back with it quicker.

Whilst I can get an upgrade working quite easily, I still recommend a clean install. It's just better.

Also, you might want to delete you old user dir's like .kde.

I've only had Mandrake on my PC for about a week, and most of that time I've spent trying to work out why I don't have any sound....that's fixed now, but would I need to consider seeking out and deleting my old user dir .kde?

The .kde folder holds information relating to your user settings within kde, plus app configuration etc.

If you've got a clean install, but your home directory still has this directory, then you'll get the settings from the old version of KDE, and maybe some issues, but then again maybe not.

If you are experiencing problems, specifically with KDE, layout, etc that relates to the GUI or app functionality, then you can remove it easily enough. In your /home/username directory (where username is your user), just type:

ls -a

this will list all your directories including the hidden ones. To remove it, make sure KDE isn't running, and then just type:

rm .kde -rdf

and it will remove it for you.

I just did this with Mandy 9.1 and it worked great. I put it onto a new disk just to be safe. You can find my complete writeup on the experience at this thread: https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=31040&hl=

Banjo

(_)=='=~

Thanks Banjo, I printed out a copy of your experience and I'll read it thoroughly.

It's quite daunting, when your used to Windows, and then you feel like someone turned out the lights.....

I'm getting complaints from the rest of the household about the PC always being in Linux mode when they want a turn....but I'm going to stick it out and hopefully wave goodbye to Windows...