Syndrome of return back to adored Mandriva Linux

fahd

Again and again I often return back to my beloved Mandriva linux 2006, after giving a try to diffirent linux distros. The last week as usual I tried openSUSE Linux 10.1 RC1, I realised that suse still has not solved the DSL problem. Mainly as I mentioned in previous posts after a lot of hours in solving dsl connection, I solved (at least I think so) the problem in a weird ways. Often giving the command: ifup dsl0. Really I do not like to talk about this stupid thing and aothers. Just think of it. Novell acquired SuSE Linux 2 years ago (if i am not mistaken), and put a hard finance support into suse (comparing to mandriva humble one), and what is the resault: a bleeding edge product called open suse linux. Guys what do you think? Is the money the only enough criteria in the projects? Of course NOT. The above mentioned criteria is definitely required, but as we see in Linux and Microsoft world where the good organised projects lead to rock and solid stuff. Microsoft spends million of dollars in vulnerable and insecure projects. It seems that Novell tracks the same thing.

I have not mentioned what Mandriva Linux version I use. Both the Mandriva Linux 2006. official and the cooker one. Believe it or not both ones work fine. My Cooker one includes KDE 3.5.2. Naturally Mandriva Linux is buggy as the other linux distros, but in general it is the best Linux distro I have ever and never seen up to now. That is why I always go back to my adored Mandriva Linux after sepending and wasing my time (on expense of my family) giving a try probing a lot of Linux distros (Fedora, Ubuntu, SuSE, UHU, PCLinux ..etc.). Long live to Mandriva.

Fahd

Budapest, 2006.04.16

I agree Mandriva 2006 is buggy, although it shouldn't be (way older than bleeding adge).

But I can't agree my distro is buggy, because it isn't at all (although it should be, as it is really bleeding edge).

And for me OpenSuSE is way better a solution than Mandriva, provided that you can roll a kernel of your own and get rid of that horrible stock mess-of-a-kernel SuSE is providing. Of course I have no intention to reuse any of the two ( unless I develop certain SM tendencies- who knows... ), but if, for some reason, my current distro dies, I will switch to either a modernized Slackware variation, , or Kanotix, or finally Ubuntu (although I'm a KDE guy, and kubuntu is only good enough for being sued by the KDE devel team for intentional defamation of their desktop...).

Edited by scarecrow

There have been bugs in all Linux distros that I've used and Mandriva 2006 doesn't make it to the top buggiest ones. Of course that depends on what parts of the OS we each use most.

Right now I'm having some problems with Fedora Core 5 related to apps and menu entries,

but I have no problems at all with USB devices, which caused a real headache for me in Mandriva 2006

Oh, and, scarecrow, I agree with you about Kubuntu and KDE :))

Solarian hits it on the head, it seems to depend what part you use.

Instead of improving in a linear way Mandriva seems to somehow rock forwards and backwards so parts that used to work stop and stuff that was supported doesn't work anymore.

Hence people find releases that are good fo them but then the next one doesn't.