Mandriva 2006 crashes after use

Guest dpeirce

Guest dpeirce

Mandriva 2006 Free.

This problem manifested when, some weeks after installing from CD, I decided to do the updates. I can use Mandriva all day with no problems or crashes, but some time after I go to bed or otherwise stop actively using it it crashes. Next morning the monitor light will be on steady (yellow) and the tower is still on but it won't come alive again after moving the mouse or punching keys on the keyboard. I've tried doing CTRL-ALT-Backspace but it doesn't answer the keyboard at all. Normal behavior for previous Mandrivas/Mandrakes, and other distros, is for the monitor light to be blinking yellow and to restore the session on moving the mouse.

I suspect something about power management and have disabled it but behavior is no different. I have seen various posts about suspend/standby problems but they all seem to occur on reboot, not like mine.

I've reinstalled with and without doing the updates and have the same problem.

In faith, Dave

dave@christos.cjb.net, dpeirce@christian.net

Viva Texas

I feel like a woodpecker in a petrified forest.

Edited by dpeirce

Guest dpeirce

Hi daniewicz; thanks for the reply.

There are a LOT of entries in /var/log/messages (951 KB) ^_^. I can copy it here but should I? I can email it to you if you want.

I skimmed through it, not really knowing what I'm looking for. I did notice several restarts, all preceeded by a lot of DriveReady SeekComplete Errors and DriveStatusError BadCRCs over the previous 10 or 15 minutes. These errors continued right up until a gap in time followed by a restart.

I had noticed the same errors in my bootup messages; however, both e2fsck and smartmontools reported the drives as OK. So did whatever my computer doctor used. Never-the-less, I bought a third drive and had it installed. I installed Mandriva in the first partition of that drive (now there are 3 separate installations of Mandriva on three separate drives); the newest installation has the same crashing problem. I should mention that Mandriva is the only distro with which I'm having this problem (FC4, Kanotix). And I can run my Knoppix, Kanotix, and DSL live CDs indefinitely.

Is there anything else specific that I might look for in the messages file?

In faith, Dave

Viva Texas

God spoke, and BANG! It happened!

Edited by dpeirce

The best thing is to post it here, that way you can get the input from lots of people, rather than just one person.

Post what you think are errors, and around the time it crashed if you happened to be there at the time. Normally looking at the log file you can tell error messages from normal ones.

You may wish to disable power management within the KDE settings first, and see if it helps or make a difference, but then of course this means your monitor won't power down, so you'd have to turn it off manually. But this might help in diagnosing the issue. You can find these settings in Configure Your Desktop within KDE.

Umm... I guess the file will be huge, so uploading a .txt document as an attachment is the best solution imho.

It could be that you are suffering from the same DMA problem that I was suffering from some time ago. Check this link https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=31492 and upgrade your kernel, if you haven't done so already. This patched kernel made my box finally rock-stable. Before that, I also had such crashes.

Guest dpeirce

ianw1974:

I already disabled power management but the problem is the same. I'll try and figure out how to upload the messages file as an attachment. There's a different messages file there now??? But an apparently unexpected restart occurred Apr 12 at 11:52 with previous seek/bad crc errors. I remember there were mentions of shorewall in the other messages file too.

Arctic:

OK, I read it. It was in english, right? ^_^ Sorry, I didn't understand much; it seemed to be about vulnerabilities in Mandriva 2006.0 to denial of service attacks, though? And to fix it I should upgrade my kernel? Haven't tried anything like that before. Fear and trepidation! :^> But I'm working with a "spare" Mandriva installation so I can experiment.

It says to make sure I get the correct kernel version ( http://wwwnew.mandriva.com/en/security/advisories ). Then there are the ones listed here ( http://wwwnew.mandriva.com/security/advisories?dis=2006.0 ). Do I want the upgrade number :59 from the advisory id, or :70 as being more recent? However, I don't understand how to pick the correct kernel out of all those listed for M 2006. Is the command just #urpmi kernel-2.6.12.18mdk? Once I get past that, I can handle grub's menu.lst if needed.

In faith, Dave

Viva Texas

(Edit: Looks like the attachment didn't upload?)

Edited by dpeirce

How to upgrade : http://wwwnew.mandriva.com/en/security/kernelupdate :)

I assume that you don't have a 64 bit processor, neither a Macintosh, but that you are using the default Mandriva i586 installation and have less than 1 GB Ram. Thus run from a terminal as root:

# urpmi.update -a
# urpmi kernel-i586-up-1GB-2.6.12.18mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

If you have more than 1GB Ram, install

# urpmi kernel-i686-up-4GB-2.6.12.18mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

Good luck :)

Guest dpeirce

Mandriva 2006.0, 768 MB ram, i686 (sorry).

OK, I will try that on the spare Mandriva. It hasn't been updated... if the kernel upgrade works then I'll do the updates and make that one my main (the other would be my spare).

If you have time, I'd appreciate finding out how you knew which of the updated packages I would need ( http://wwwnew.mandriva.com/security/adviso...=MDKSA-2006:059 ). Any of them look good to me except the ones which specify 64; there must be some way of telling which is good. Or a howto or something?

In faith, Dave

Viva Texas

Edit: The command "urpmi kernel-i586-up-1GB-2.6.12.18mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm" wouldn't work (no access to that rpm and couldn't register local packages). I went to easy urpmi and downloaded the commands and entered them, then found the rpm with the package manager. It installed, and I fixed menu.lst. The new kernel boots fine and appears to work. I will boot it before going to bed to see if it crashes during the night.

Arctic, I do appreciate your help.

Dave

Edited by dpeirce

kernel-2.6.12.18mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

is the default 2.6.18mdk kernel that is a general purpose kernel, not optimized for Ram

kernel-BOOT-2.6.12.18mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

is, afaik, a kernel specially tailored for creating bootdisks/mini-cds, but I could be wrong. Never used that one

kernel-i586-up-1GB-2.6.12.18mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

computer with less than 1GB Ram

kernel-i686-up-4GB-2.6.12.18mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

computer with up to 4GB Ram

kernel-xbox-2.6.12.18mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

kernel for running Linux on an X-Box

kernel-xen0-2.6.12.18mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

Kernel for the XEN computer (Open source virtual machine monitor (VMM))

kernel-2.6.12.18mdk-1-1mdk.src.rpm

an uncompiled but i586 optimized kernel. needed for compiling the stock kernel against your machine.

kernel-source-2.6-2.6.12-18mdk.i586.rpm

Kernel sources, needed for compiling the kernel from scratch.

the kernels with a X86_64 mark are built for AMD Athlon64 Bit processors, the PPC marked kernels are for Macintosh computers (G3,G4,G5).

Marks like i586 tell you the minimum processor requirement in order to get maximum performance out of a kernel. i586 kernels will run on i586 (pentium I) processors and up.

Guest dpeirce

Arctic:

OK, some of that I had figured out (64 marks, src, and the i386/586). You were right about the kernel-boot ( http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idp...k.i586.rpm.html ).

Upgrading the kernel didn't work; it crashed during the night just as usual.

I tried again to attach /var/log/messages (the last session; it crashed last night and I restarted it and it crashed again).In faith, Dave

Viva Texas

mandriva_logmessages.txt

Bad luck that the kernel fix did not help. But it really seems to be a kernel bug you ran into

Apr 15 13:31:26 localhost kernel: hdc: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }

Apr 15 13:31:26 localhost kernel: hdc: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }

Apr 15 13:31:26 localhost kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown

Apr 15 13:32:55 localhost kernel: hdc: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }

Apr 15 13:32:55 localhost kernel: hdc: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }

Apr 15 13:32:55 localhost kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown

Apr 15 13:32:56 localhost kernel: hdc: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }

Apr 15 13:32:56 localhost kernel: hdc: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }

Apr 15 13:32:56 localhost kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown

Apr 15 13:32:56 localhost ntpd[5824]: synchronized to LOCAL(0), stratum=10

Apr 15 13:32:56 localhost ntpd[5824]: kernel time sync disabled 0041

This clearly shows that there IS a DMA problem with your hdc device. Please submit a bugreport to Mandriva and attach the message-file of this thread to the bugentry, too.

http://qa.mandriva.com/

Guest dpeirce

OK, I figured my way through their process; they don't make it really easy to file a bug report :^>. Its number is 22028. Hope it does some good.

In faith, Dave

Viva Texas

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dpeirce

Haven't heard anything on the bug report, but I did figure out a "fix" of sorts: Turn the screensaver off. Mandriva still has instabilities but doesn't crash overnight. Mandriva has been running on my wife's machine unattended for 2 1/2 days now.

In faith, Dave

Viva Texas