Sound on remote XP pro machine

scarecrow

So far I can't find any Linux native software that will allow me to access a remote XP pro desktop and manage a sound application there. By default, XP load some "RDP sound driver" which isn't DirectX compatible, and the sound application(s) fail.

The solution I've found is running the windows RD client through wine (it works quite well, with few visual glitches). In that client there's a choice of 1. leaving the sound at the remote server (which is what I like to do), 2. disable sound events (which is the server default), and 3. Pass sound events to the client.

There's nothing analogous to any Linux client I've tried. Any ideas? The solution could be:

1. Finding a client that manages sound events,

2. Hacking the XP registry so that the sound is left by default on the remote machine,

3. Using some (AFAIK undocumented) commandline switch to the existing Linux clients.

4. Running another terminal server software (I don't wish to do that, though).

Can anyone shed some light here, please?

Edited by scarecrow

Yes, I'm looking for a native linux client. krdc IS good indeed, but unless there's a windows registry hack available it does not have any setting to leave the sound on the remote terminal server- so windows load the "RDC sound driver" for the remote user, which is pretty unusable for most sound applications.

• 4 months later...

Took me some time, but I found the optimal solution:

rdesktop does support managing sound events to remote windows hosts, but appareently no Linux client made good usage of it... almost.

tsclient does the job perfectly, and it's a very nice, fully configurable app, virtually desktop-independent (some gnome element required for the GUI).

The other Gnome client (grdesktop) is very buggy, and half-baked, regarding sound events. Needs more gnome widgets as well, so dropped.

Of course for leaving sound events on the remote desktop terminal services v. 5.1 or better is required, which means it won't work on 2000 server- only on XP and 2003 server- and likely Vista (rdesktop from cvs is needed for that).