Help:Mounting a Drive without Losing Data [solved]

Guest Slaughter

Guest Slaughter

Hey Everyone! I am a Linux newbie just to give you a heads up. I have taken over a network of Unix machines and as far as I know unix and linux have a compatible file system. (Correct me if I am wrong there) So in saying that, I would like to mount one of the harddrives from the unix system to my linux system keeping the data intact so I could transfer that data to an FTP as it is very important. I cannot lose the data and this is the quickest way to back it up. If anyone can walk me through this please let me know! Thank you very much and I apologize if this is covered somewhere but I didn't come across it yet. Thanks again!

-Slaughter

I could be wrong, but I think it's highly unlikely you'll mount a unix file system disk under Linux. What is the filesystem type?

Linux currently supports ext2, ext3, jfs, reiserfs, xfs,

Guest Slaughter

Hmmm.. I couldn't tell you to be honest. I know more about linux than I do unix. LoL. And I don't know anything about linux really. :P

I would like to specify that the Unix system I am trying to backup is actually Xenix.

Guest Slaughter

Nope. Confirmed that I can't connect to the internet.

I'm in the irc chat if someone wants to talk to me. :P

Edited by Slaughter

It's up to the kernel. If the kernel has the mod compiled for it, then it will recognize sysv under the normal mount cmmand. According to an article I read from Gael Duval (before he was fired) Mandriva is trying to stay compliant with sysv/unix.

I may be wrong but I think I'm not.

SysV is not a filesystem but instead a "general layout" of things, eg: you have /etc/inittab, and /etc/rc* files, and so on. See here for more info:

http://www.levenez.com/unix/

Yet not all is lost, because Linux knows about a lot of filesystems. Look under:

/lib/modules/2.6.12-12mdk/kernel/fs/

and see if there is a module of interest. You can "modprobe" each module until the mount command is OK.

You can usually get information about a module with modinfo.

# modinfo lazyfs0d1d26
will give information about the lazyfs0d1d26.ko.gz module.

# modprobe lazyfs0d1d26
will load this module

# mount -o ro -t lazyfs0d1d26 /dev/hdd1 /mnt/unix_drive
will try and use this module to mount the drive.

(correct me if I'm wrong)

You have to make some adaptations depending on your mount point, and depending on the actual device for the partition.

Yves.

Let's backup here a minute. From your original question, you appear to be networked to a collection of unix machines and want to get data off one of them. Is your linux box connected to the network and do you have access/sysadmin privileges on the unix network? If the answer is yes to the above, then you can setup a network share on the unix box for your linux box and access the share through NFS which uses a TCP/IP; then it won't matter what filesystem is on the unix box. Linux and unix are both NFS compliant and should be able to be networked.

The discussion in the thread so far seems to be premised on the assumption that you have physically removed the hard drive from the unix box and installed it on your linux box and are trying to mount the drive. If that's not what you are doing, all the advice you have gotten so far is irrelevant.

Guest Slaughter

The unix boxes aren't connected to a network. what if I add a NIC to the unix box and hope it can use it and connect it to a switch with my linux box and setup NFS?

You could do that but you would have to configure the nic on the unix box which consists of getting the nic driver loaded if one is available and then configuring the network through that interface. Then you would have to get the NFS services running and configured on the unix box. In short, you would pretty much have to know what you are doing on that unix system. If you don't have documentation on that unix system or are fairly conversant with *nix, this would all be difficult.

All that being said, I've never run into a unix environment that wasn't networked. Unix was designed to operate on networks. That unix system almost certainly has networking capabilities but getting it all configured without some documentation on the system would be hard.

The above is standard unix stuff. You have a complicating factor here. You say you are running "Xenix" on those boxes. I associate that name with SCO and SCO uses a proprietary xenix filesystem. Given SCO's litigious nature you are not likely to find any open source support for that filesystem. There are other flavors of xenix by different vendors but SCO is the most prominent. Xenix was an early form of unix designed to run on x86 hardware. See:

http://www.computerhope.com/unix/xenix.htm

You can try sticking the hard drive in your linux box but if your Xenix is from SCO, it won't be able to read it. Also, I believe SCOXenix uses a proprietary networking system called OpenServer IIRC; standard NFS used by most unix systems may not be available on SCOXenix.

Edited by pmpatrick

Guest Slaughter

Well, after many hours of continuous trial and error sessions, I have finally found a way. It may not be that fast but it works. Linux booting failed me unfortunately as even though it is supposedly supported, it really isn't. But what I finally got to work was to load C-Kermit on Xenix and send the files via RS-232 to my windows machine using HyperTerminal on it's end. Tar and compress my files on the Xenix and send them over. Thanks for all the ideas!

-Slaughter