Video converter [solved]

tf1

If you got the Firefox 1.5 binary from mozilla.org, it shouldn't be a problem. If I recall, mozilla.org calls the binary "firefox," while Mandriva/PLF call it "mozilla-firefox." If you got Firefox 1.5 from Cooker or some other Mandriva repository, Firefox 1.5 will either be overwritten or cause an RPM conflict.

I'd suggest putting Firefox 1.5 somewhere other than /usr/bin anyway. I have mine in /opt/firefox.

i got 1.5 as an rpm from pbone if i remember correctly. its running quite nicely out of a folder in my user home directory so i think i'll leave it alone and look for something else. i've screwed things up before and have learned to be wary.

Thanks for your help. If you or someone else has any more recommendations i'd be grateful.

Ted

just out of curiosity, why would a video converter want to install a web browser anyway??

I'd let urpmi do its thing. Even if Firefox were to break (it doesn't sound like it will), all you have to do is download it from mozilla.org, and unzip it to any directory you wish.

The most common reason for unrelated rpms wanting to install Firefox or Mozilla is to borrow Mozilla's encryption libraries.

Edited by Dyslexic

OK i got avidemux installed, some help on how to use it would be good. looked around the homepage, forums, google and can't find what i want to do.

I open a file called xxxx.avi and i want to convert it to xxxx.mpg how do i go about it. Doesn't seem very clear to me at all.

Thanks

tf1,

it is not exactly clear what do you want to achieve by "converting avi to mpeg".

if by "mpeg" you mean MPEG Program/Transport Stream (because *avi is an mpeg encoding in an AVI container), then you can choose "MPEG PS A+V" or "MPEG TS A+V" on the button in the bottom left, under the tag "Format".

If your goal is to make a DVD-compilant video suitable for , e.g. dvdauthor, from a non-compliant source, you should select the corresponding format under "Video" tag on the left.

Then you choose "Save" from the menu, and it will save the desired format. Make sure you choose a different filename than the open file, otherwise it will destroy your video.

hi

i have no idea what most of that means, but i get the idea. Basically i have a downloaded .avi file which i want to view on an .mpg only player, hence convert it to .mpg format.

i thought it would be easy, i should have known better!

Thought i'd just say i got the job done with this info from the avidemux forum.

File -> Open... and choose AVI, then Auto -> VCD(Mpeg-1) or SVCD/DVD(Mpeg-2) and then File -> Save -> Save Video

(you can also change video options if SVCD/DVD is chosen)

Worked great, hope this may be of help to someone else. Easy when you know how.

TF

Yes That's how I do ti, sometime the program crashes but it is rare. When it happens, launch Avidemux2 from command line and read what's wrong. Another on I use is Tovid.

Otherwise to burn your mpg to dvd afterwards I thought i'd advice varsha, really good tool!

Stef