Apache and MySQL

3lade

I have been messing about with this and trying to get a local intranet running at work. I have set up a dummy machine at home to configure and test then migrate all settings and files into work.

My machine at home works fine, but this one dont :( I have installed all the same mods and rpms, apache runs fine it looks to be parsing php files but I cant connect to the mysql server. I get the message: "Cant connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)" I have searched and found the file mysql.sock and that is in /var/tmp/ how do I get it to know where it is?

phpMyAdmin shows the same message but webmin connects fine, I can also connect from other XP machines to the server so whats happening?

Check this out.. They mention your fix, but state there is permissions issues.

http://lists.dajoba.com/p/mysqltool/2002-S...ber/000261.html

Also, if you search google groups (usenet), there is a ton of references to the problem. I did a search with

mysql.sock "local MySQL server through socket"

Let us know how you make out..

I had a quick look through and they all seem beyond my experience at the moment. But the symlink option is the quick fix and it has been working all afternoon with multiple users editing and using the databases. I think I will leave it in place for the time being and work on it at a later date. :wink:

I thought mysql.sock isn't created until after mysql is running?

You are correct.

Thats why the script couldn't connect as mysql.sock didn't exist as mysql was not running.

I am intimately familiar with the problem as i use mysql & php, but i don't start mysql at boot on my work station, only when i start working on scripts.

Fixed it.. I uninstalled mysql, reinstalled it with urpmi and after reboot it works. My problems all started when I used webmin to turn off some startup services and then decided to start using mysql again... whatever, time for 9.1 anyways :)

Oh well :)

And yeah i will install 9.1rc1 on my second computer tonight.

Fixed it.. I uninstalled mysql, reinstalled it with urpmi and after reboot it works. My problems all started when I used webmin to turn off some startup services and then decided to start using mysql again... whatever, time for 9.1 anyways :)

so whats it like then????

so whats it like then????

Nice look, kde 3.1 is faster/more responsive than 3.0 Default fonts better IMO.

It should be very good when the bugs are ironed out.