Mandriva 2006: Menudrake not saving all changes

GekkoGeck0

I have been trying to edit my K Menu for a while now, using Menudrake (both as root and as my normal user).

It never properly saves the changes, and causes me hassle when I try to create/move submenus.

I edited my menu (All Applications style), as my regular user, for KDE only. I renamed More Applications as Applications, changed the icon and moved/deleted a whole bunch of stuff. I saved, and the first thing I notice is that it doesn't save the icon change, and changes the name back to More Applications.

This has happened before, and as soon as I log out, it will restore everything that was in the default menu, along with my other changes. If I move a menu (say, Games), when it restores its own menu, it will truncate my moved one, so there will be less subfolders and fewer applications. This seems random, I can't exactly figure out what it's doing. :angry2:

I tried to create a submenu in Games (which I renamed Entertainment) and move the different KDE game submenus into that. It won't let me move anything into that submenu.

Does anyone know why I am having so many problems with Menudrake? I tried using the KDE menu editor (even though I know it's not supposed to work) and found it much more user friendly, even though it doesn't save all changes, but it's at least less frustrating to work with, opposed to Menudrake which won't let me move those submenus AND won't keep my changes. :wall:

I've also had problems with menus. I found that a menu entry that has only one entry (like in games I add prboom to the adventure submenu) it moves that single item up to the next menu level and deletes the sub menu (Instead of seeing games-> adventure -> prboom

I only see games -> prboom). And I move my whole games directory on it's own and if I make changes later the games directory reappears in the more applications menu. Even though my change is still there. One of the annoyances that went into my decision to go back to 10.0.

I've also had problems with menus. I found that a menu entry that has only one entry (like in games I add prboom to the adventure submenu) it moves that single item up to the next menu level and deletes the sub menu (Instead of seeing games-> adventure -> prboom

I only see games -> prboom).

I'm not sure if I've had that problem. There's been so many changes I've tried to make, and so many funky changes back that I really can't keep them straight in my head. :wacko:

And I move my whole games directory on it's own and if I make changes later the games directory reappears in the more applications menu. Even though my change is still there. One of the annoyances that went into my decision to go back to 10.0.

I was on Mandrake 9.2 before, and I recall it working better, but there were still problems with it changing stuff back. It's quite annoying, and I absolutely cannot see the purpose of that program reverting everything (or only some things!) back on a relogin/reboot.

This functionality is normal... In the Menu Editor it shows the sub menu items but if you only have one application in that group it will move it up the tree so as you dont have to expand a menu just to get to a single application..

If you intall Accounting software Kmoney then install GNUcash you will see this occur automaticly..

I think it is a good idea.. As the menus auto expand as you add more applications or reduce if the menus have only a single item in that category..

I preferred having the ability to make the single entry menu item. If I wanted to move the entry up a level it should be my choice. Not some arbitrary decision by the software.

When I was running Debian Woody I had a similar problem with menu changes getting switched back. I would edit the default menu items and saved them in another directory and then I had a script I would run after updates to put the menus back to the way I wanted. But I don't even know where mandriva is storing their default menu. I could change it there.

I agree about being able to make my own decisions about where something goes in the menu. I don't want my software throwing things together for me. At least make an option to turn that off or something.

Still, this doesn't explain why I can't move applications or submenus into submenus that I create, or why when I rename More Applications and change its icon, that it keeps changing itself right back.