hardware instability with DVD drive

theYinYeti

Hello,

I have problems with my DVD-RW drive.

With some (more and more) DVDs, it has a lot of trouble to recognize the disk. I always achieve to read the media eventually, but I have to eject+reinsert, and/or slightly touch or turn the DVD in its craddle ("voodoo adjust", dare I say).

Most of the time, it is a commercial DVD, and after some time scanning the drive, it fails (no icon). Then I make my voodoo magic, and OK it is there, and Xine launches.

Or it is a DVD-R(W) on which I put some records. Gnome insists on opening the Nautilus-burn tool, but after a little intimidation it finally put the right media title on the desktop and I can access the records.

It sure looks like a hardware problem. In my opinion, it is either a lens focusing problem, or a dirty lens. What do you think? Should I open the drive, and try and set the lens right, or buy a cleaning-lens kit? Are there kits to avoid? Recommendations?

Yves.

I've been to the nearest shop.

They have a DVD drive cleaning-DVD, but it says on the box, that "if the cleaning process does not start automatically [i assume a autorun.inf file here...], then open Explorer and run clean.exe found on the DVD."

As you can see on my signature, I don't have Windows. Do you know if this would run under Wine?

Or they have a CD drive cleaning-CD, without any program. Just insert it in the CD player, and it works. But...

- Would this "just work" with a computer drive? Should I enable or disable automount/whatever it is that automounts/autoplay CDs?

- Would such a CD (made for CD drives) apply to cleaning a DVD drive's lens?

Thanks for any further information.

Yves.

Edited by theYinYeti

- Would this "just work" with a computer drive? Should I enable or disable automount/whatever it is that automounts/autoplay CDs?
It should work. Keep the automounting enabled, otherwise, the drive won't spin, thus not clean the lens
- Would such a CD (made for CD drives) apply to cleaning a DVD drive's lens?
Yes, the lens and reading mechanism is basically the same on DVD and CD drives.

One hint, though: I experienced that some DVDs could not be run on any DVD player I have (I have six different onesin my house, some in computers, some are stand-alone machiens) because the DVD-encoding was crap. They secured the media so much that it simply could not be run, while some worked only after serious cursing. So, if you can, check the DVD on other DVD drives, too. Maybe you ran into one of the new, ugly ones.