X and render issues

Jza

So I have several miscelaneous annoyances with Mandriva ONE here are some (this was installed on my machine):

1. - X wont restart, problem with xkbcom

There seems to be an issue when I logout Mandriva and that is that X wont run again, it wil try 3 times and then give up. Then a blue screen of death will show up some errors triying to run the X server. The issues seem to be that the keybaord has some issues.

It goes on by listing Warning from all the keys. I use a usb keyboard on a laptop (Which means there are 2 keyboards). At the beginning I thought this was the source of the conflict however after unpluging X kept complaining. So I need help on this.

2. -No VNC, issues wiht fonts

This issue is font related, I cant connect to my other PC downstairs because vncviewer will launch an error, this time it seems to be some errors from the font rendering, since vnc uses some other toolkit to render the fonts, there seem to be lacking from my machine.

3.-NXClient gives me errors on connecting

I cant seem to be able to my favorite server desktop service -- cosmopod. It uses NXClient which is made by no machine. I have no issues on my suse box downstairs and I didnt used to have issues here (when I had 2006). However now I launch it sing in and everything goes fine until (authentication, handshaking etc) until is time to display X (during established X connection). The server seems to give up and halt.

Details read as following:

Info: Starting X protocol compression.
Info: Established X server connection.
Info: Using shared memory support in X server.
Error: Lost connection to peer proxy on FD#9.
Error: Connection with remote peer broken.
Error: Please check the state of your network and retry.

4.- kcontrol (kde control center) is nowhere to be found from some days, meaning that it wont display on the menu. After launching it from the Run command it got to disply but just emply, none of the modules were avaialble.

Hope anyone can give me some tips, the good news at least is that I have a backup of /etc/ from my older distro and I guess I will be able to copy config files. Will need some guidance on this process.

Edited by Jza

According to this:

http://distrowatch.com/index.php?distribut...th=all&year=all

Mandriva One has only been released to club members from March 16. So chances are you're probably running the beta version with all the problems, unless you're of course a club member and have the latest version.

You may wish to upgrade to the final release, since beta's aren't really stable, and problems are expected.

In relation to the VNC fonts, try launching it from a console window, and see if it lists an error relating to fonts it's looking for. Then you can just install the appropriate fonts. I would suggest however, getting the final release if you're a club member, or wait for it to be released shortly.

Which VNC? For one thing, tightvnc depends just on xorg, zlib and libjpeg. The static binary can even be run from a ramstick, without installation.

Same, more or less, applies for X11vnc, so I guess you have missing or broken xorg fonts.

Notice also that KDE and Gnome have both an embedded real display vnc server, which can be activated via their control panel, and KDE has its own client for vnc/rdp/nomx, named krdc.

Edited by scarecrow

Which VNC? For one thing, tightvnc depends just on xorg, zlib and libjpeg. The static binary can even be run from a ramstick, without installation.

Same, more or less, applies for X11vnc, so I guess you have missing or broken xorg fonts.

Notice also that KDE and Gnome have both an embedded real display vnc server, which can be activated via their control panel, and KDE has its own client for vnc/rdp/nomx, named krdc.

It would be tightvnc, like I said is a problem when ran. If I try to open vncviewer (vnc client) from the command line I get the following issue:

# vncviewer
Warning: Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font
Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
Warning: Unable to load any usable fontset
Error: Aborting: no font found

Yes I do have my fonts installed.