MDK 9.1 RC1 screenshots with Galaxy theme

MottS

Hi everyone.

I downloaded 9.1 RC1 last night and installed it tonight. Here is the story + 5 pics.

The installation has changed a lot. The whole thing is devided in two steps and we cannot choose Newbies or Expert install :-( . But the interface is lot more professionnal. We can also resize NTFS partiton .. didn't try though. The first bundle of questions are: Language, Licence agreement, Security, Partionning (there is an Advanced button here) and System install. The second part includes: Root password, Udd user, Boot loader (can't choose which boot loader to use .. lilo by default !), Summary (here you can change everything, from your bootloader to the driver of all your devices. Nice thing !), Update and End of installation. The installation got stock just before the update :roll: . I knew the boot loader was installed so I decided to press reset and see what was going on. The system went up no prob .. cool. :-D

9.1 RC1 is packed with KDE 3.1. This is really cool. We now have the tab navigation with Konqueror and VNC is included with a really nice GUI. We can even share a desktop .. the 2 persons fight for the mouse.. like with pcanywhere.

I've been able to rebuild the NVidia driver with 'export IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=true' before typing 'rpmbuild --rebuild NVidia_*' because the system was complaining about shit. Anyway. I also installed gkrellm and lm_sensors no problem. The kernel is 2.4.21pre4-6mdk. Supermount works really nice with rpmdrake. No need to wait hours or do 'supermount -i disable'.. it works now. ;-)

So far everything works flawlessly exept the sound which stop for microseconds when we change of windows with the mouse... weird. Also some build in pictures are missing in konqueror. Like if I go on google.ca, the buttons for search and 'I,m feeling lucky' are all white.. I don't see them.

I made 5 screenshots. I choosed the Galaxy color and style from kcontrol. There is no Galaxy Windows Decoration so I choosed Keramik (this one by default).

The last screenshot is just to make fun of M$ :lol:

CYA !

I love it !

MOtTs

EDIT: I removed them because they are outdated...

MottS,

U do not have anti-aliases fonts. It would look really great if u enable anti-aliased fonts. My choice is Nimbus Sans size 11. Try it out.

If I do MCC->System->Font, I don't see Numbus Sans. There is nothing about anti-aliased fond there. Same thing in rpmdrake. What's wrong with the fonts ?

Ahh gross. Is it just me or is KDE looking tackier and tackier as they go on? 3.1 looks like its from a cheesy cartoon. How's the rest going though of the soon to be new release?

I like kde like this. If linux wants to gain popularity among Windows user they have to do that. I personnaly like a terminal more than a GUI but it's the other way around for a newbies...

;-)

MOttS

If I do MCC->System->Font, I don't see Numbus Sans. There is nothing about anti-aliased fond there. Same thing in rpmdrake. What's wrong with the fonts ?

In the KDE Control center, go to LookNFeel->Fonts.

Thanks for the screenshot motts, it's nice to know that mandrake can resize ntfs partition now.

Anyway, I tried the galaxy theme both in kde and gnome. In gnome there is a galaxy windows decoration but not in kde. Oh well.. it is only version .4, maybe the next version will have it. My impression of that theme is that it's incredibly "boxy" and "sharp", I guess I am just too used to the curves of keramik and liquid.

I am surprised that nimbus sans is not included in 9.1 though.. I think it should be in the urw-fonts rpm, do you have it installed?

Nimbus sans is not in kcontrol->LookNFeel->Fonts :-(

urw-fonts is already installed as confirmed by

[root@localhost gd]# rpm -qva | grep font

fontconfig-2.1-5mdk

ghostscript-fonts-6.0-1mdk

XFree86-75dpi-fonts-4.3-0.20030210.1mdk

XFree86-100dpi-fonts-4.3-0.20030210.1mdk

font-tools-0.1-7mdk

libfontconfig1-devel-2.1-5mdk

libfontconfig1-2.1-5mdk

chkfontpath-1.9.5-1mdk

urw-fonts-2.0-7mdk

fonts-ttf-west_european-1.3-9mdk

fonts-ttf-decoratives-1.3-9mdk

Here are all the available packages... do you see something that I should install that is not aready ?

[root@localhost gd]# urpmq --list | grep font

fonts-ttf-japanese

fonts-ttf-armenian

fonts-ttf-west_european

urw-fonts

ghostscript-fonts

fonts-bitmap-tscii

fonts-type1-baltic

fonts-ttf-korean

mplayer-fonts

XFree86-cyrillic-fonts

font-tools

libfontconfig1

chkfontpath

fonts-ttf-big5

fontconfig

fonts-hebrew-elmar

tv-fonts

fonts-type1-greek

fonts-ttf-tscii

jmcce-fonts

XFree86-100dpi-fonts

libfontconfig1-devel

fonts-ttf-gb2312

fonts-type1-cyrillic

fonts-ttf-decoratives

XFree86-75dpi-fonts

taipeifonts

fonts-ttf-thai

Thx

MOtTS

ote="Ronin"]

Ahh gross. Is it just me or is KDE looking tackier and tackier as they go on? 3.1 looks like its from a cheesy cartoon. How's the rest going though of the soon to be new release?

I like kde like this. If linux wants to gain popularity among Windows user they have to do that. I personnaly like a terminal more than a GUI but it's the other way around for a newbies...

MottS

Actually my Dad who's in his 2nd or 3rd week of linux had me install 3.1 on it and he also made comments about cheesy and tacky looking and went back to 3.0. So there ;-) If they continue to go this route I think they should then give us the option for the "new" look or the "classic" look. Humm, may have to email them and suggest that one.

Actually my Dad who's in his 2nd or 3rd week of linux had me install 3.1 on it and he also made comments about cheesy and tacky looking and went back to 3.0. So there ;-) If they continue to go this route I think they should then give us the option for the "new" look or the "classic" look.  Humm, may have to email them and suggest that one.

You can actually choose in KControl which Style, Color, Windows deco you want. You can even look like IceWM, WinXP or the good old KDE 1.0 if you want ..

MOttS

MottS,

I don't know which one supplies the Nimbus fonts but u can see this url in konqueror to get an idea:

ftp://ftp.univie.ac.at/systems/linux/Mand...ake/RPMS/*font*

Other anti-alias capable fonts are:

Luxi

Urw (u already know u have it)

Utopia

Courier 10 pitch

Century Scoolbook I

Bitstream Charter

So enable anti-aliasing (and also enable sub-pixel hinting).

here's a screenshot of gnome fully done in the galaxy theme (which is complete in gnome):

mdk91gnomegalaxy.png

you can also see the new look of the control center. i like the direction Mandrake is heading with it's look and feel, more professional in a manner. especially the install.