Removing hdb with MDK

Trio3b

Trying to migrate more stuff to MDK.

Here's setup

hda -Wxp NTFS with a FAT partition

hdb- MDK 10.2

During install, loaded LILO on MBR of hda

Now would like to physically remove hdb to install a clean larger HD to again install MDK10.2.

Removed hdb, Changed BIOS to reflect thsi, then booted with just the hda Wxp HD in place.

Last message is - locating boot record IDE 0...OK

Then a bunch of 01 01 01 01 01........

Would like to boot into Wxp on hda

Obviously LILO is looking for MDK (which was on hdb) but shouldn't it also see Wxp?

Do I need to repair Wxp MBR temporarily till I get my bigger HD?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Trio3b

You can also put in your Mandriva cd, at the boot hit F1 for more options, type "rescue" at the prompt. After it all boots up, choose restore windows mbr, and this also removes lilo from the mbr.

Anytime you change drives or need to repair windows by reinstalling, you should remove lilo/grub before proceeding.

You can also put in your Mandriva cd, at the boot hit F1 for more options, type "rescue" at the prompt. After it all boots up, choose restore windows mbr, and this also removes lilo from the mbr.

Anytime you change drives or need to repair windows by reinstalling, you should remove lilo/grub before proceeding.

IIRC you will have to put your hdb back in your box for the above to work. During install mdv backs up your windows bootloader somewhere on hdb and can restore it with the above rescue command but not if hdb is gone.