Guest aviro

im using pentium 4 2.4

nvidia geforce fx5200 256ddr

ram 748 ddr2

1 sata 160gb western d

1 master ide 120gb western d

1 slave ide 40gb maxtor

im using windows xp on sata

i was intalling mandriva on the 1st master..al installation goes well...until finish installation when it ask for reboot

when rebot until the boot screen..using lilo.. i choose lunux..then boot...after showing active swap [OK]

then my pc just restarting ...then i try back..the same prob occur... i del and reinstall...same prob...but using lilo i load to windows...just ok...i cant even log in to main page of linux...

help me..im newbie in linux..this is my first install..and newbies in pc

When booting, press ESC at the lilo menu, then type:

linux noapic

and see if that gets you past it. If not, then other parameters you can pass are, nolapic, acpi=off. So, try combinations of:

linux noapic nolapic
linux acpi=off
linux noapic acpi=off

and so on, and see how you get on.

When you are installing, choose the vesa graphics driver instead of the Mandirva nvidia driver. It is not good. You are not booting repeatedly, but your x environment cannot start (due to the driver)

At lilo hit esc

type "linux init 3"

You will boot to a command line.

login as your root user.

Type "mc". You will be presented with a graphic-type file manager/editor.

Navigate to /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Hit F4

Scroll down to where you see the monitor and then the video card section. In the "driver=" line change "nv" to "vesa".

Hit F2.

Hit F10 twice.

Log out. Type "exit".

Login as your normal user.

Type "startx"

Your kde environment should come up.

Hi ix,

I'm not sure he's getting that far, as he's only got to activating swap, and then a ton of other services normally start after this before you get X :P

I've had mine pause at swap before, but it was only intermittent condition.

Guest aviro
When booting, press ESC at the lilo menu, then type:

linux noapic

and see if that gets you past it. If not, then other parameters you can pass are, nolapic, acpi=off. So, try combinations of:

linux noapic nolapic
linux acpi=off
linux noapic acpi=off

and so on, and see how you get on.

i have tried it all..but it is still not working...right after active swap [OK] ..my pc restarting.. i have tried all u suggest above..but it is not working...

When you are installing, choose the vesa graphics driver instead of the Mandirva nvidia driver. It is not good. You are not booting repeatedly, but your x environment cannot start (due to the driver)

At lilo hit esc

type "linux init 3"

You will boot to a command line.

login as your root user.

Type "mc". You will be presented with a graphic-type file manager/editor.

Navigate to /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Hit F4

Scroll down to where you see the monitor and then the video card section. In the "driver=" line change "nv" to "vesa".

Hit F2.

Hit F10 twice.

Log out. Type "exit".

Login as your normal user.

Type "startx"

Your kde environment should come up.

after i type linux init 3 ...my pc say it is loading...and restart...i cannot reach to a login rrot user

Can you boot with the IDE drive unplugged?

I had to unplug it to install properly in a very similar system ( i865 mobo, PIV/2.8, FX5200/128, SATAx160, SATAx200, IDEx250), but after the installation finished succesfully it was plugged back, added in fstab by hand and working properly.

The other reason of the failure could be ACPI, as well as FX5200 (mine has absolutely no usable framebuffer modes, so the bootloader has to be run in text mode).

Another thing to do is entering your BIOS and disabling "PnP OS" and "Legacy USB", both could prevent the system booting properly.

Edited by scarecrow

Another parameter worth trying, but will be really slow for your ide drives is:

linux ide=nodma

and see if you get further. Try what scarecrow says, and disconnect the ide drives for the install, and reconnect later. We can help you with configuring them to be accessed once the system is running.

Guest aviro
Another parameter worth trying, but will be really slow for your ide drives is:

linux ide=nodma

and see if you get further. Try what scarecrow says, and disconnect the ide drives for the install, and reconnect later. We can help you with configuring them to be accessed once the system is running.

i have tried all tips that mentioned above...its remain unsuccessful...btw..thank you for helping me..i dunno what the prob really is...when it come to Active Swap Partition [OK] it will restart... i had reinstalled mor ethan 20 times... :wall::wall::wall:

im feel so dizzy n tired

This seems to be hardware related. Since windows works, then I conclude that something is wrong with the partition table. Try to wipe the linux partitions and then reinstalling. Or, use a different tool to partition the drive. You could wipe the linux partitions and create a fat from windows to do this. Sometimes diskdrake does not set the parameters correctly. In my system, partition magic wants to correct my linux drive. Also, Fedora set up its partition with a small 8MG gap between itself and the Mandriva partitions, telling me that it was correcting some parameters.

In my system, partition magic wants to correct my linux drive.

Yes, same here- whenever a filesystem that Fartition Magic does not understand ( even Reiser 3.X is not supported!) is present. If you pick repairing the "error" you will end up with a totally borked partition table.

The solution is very simple: Bin Fartition Magic, and never, ever touching it again. For one thing, V-Com Partition Commander and Acronis both work fine, without finding any "errors".

Guest aviro

i have tried as you mentined above..i plug out the SATA and just using IDE and yet...it keeps restarting..

btw....im using acronis to make my IDE partition.. I think i will stick on the XP...knowing that have so much of troublesome on my hdd or maybe becoz of my FX5200. But as long as XP can still boot..its ok...thank you guys..im beginner in linux..thats why i choose mandriva not fedora...so sad

Scanning the thread, I never asked about your media. Did you download and burn it yourself? If yes, did you check the md5sum of the iso file? Did you burn it as an image and not "unpack" it prior to burning?

The nvidia chips are not a problem; one must use the vesa driver or install the nvidia drivers if one wants opengl. This problem as described is happening prior to any complete system load, if the details are accurate.

Try one more thing: choose grub instead of lilo during yet another install. Perhaps the lilo rpm is bad.

Guest aviro
Scanning the thread, I never asked about your media. Did you download and burn it yourself? If yes, did you check the md5sum of the iso file? Did you burn it as an image and not "unpack" it prior to burning?

The nvidia chips are not a problem; one must use the vesa driver or install the nvidia drivers if one wants opengl. This problem as described is happening prior to any complete system load, if the details are accurate.

Try one more thing: choose grub instead of lilo during yet another install. Perhaps the lilo rpm is bad.

i took the cd form my friend..and he just used the same dvd to install on his system..might be my system does not ok...fyi, i have tried to install fedora core4, suse 10.0 but none was working..fedora unable to boot the installation. and suse just succesful install the first cd then reboot...but cannot proceed the installation of second cd...might be i have to bin my desktop..

i dunno what type of problem i have encountered..

Please be sure that plug and play is turned off in your bios. Plug and play tells the bios that the os is assuming all assignments, which is not how linux works. Linuxs utilizes the hardware (rather than trying to become the hardware as in windows!)