samba help

Guest amadeus

Guest amadeus

i have samba and samba swat installed, the link is in the menu, but the program just won't start. i am however able to print from linux to xp but can't seem to share anything else.

maybe you have samba client installed that 's why you were able to print but samba server is not yet installed and might be the reason why swat wont start, or maybe ou'd installed samba but has not yet started it...

to check if samba has been installed. in a konsole as root

chkconfig --list | grep smb

if you find an entry with smb on it, means it has been installed, to start it manually.

/etc/init.d/smb start

just try

Should not SWAT be started from your web browser? Just go to http://localhost:901 , authenticate as root, and there you go configure samba. Besides, in the list of services in MCC there should be the box ¨start when needed¨ checked for the swat service.

PS

If you install samba-doc, there will be help in swat config window, explaining what each parameter, you´re about to modify, means. Useful.

Edited by uralmasha

Guest amadeus

o.k. got samba server installed, no longer in the menu(???) started from command line without errors, still no sign of it working. also cannot start swat. browser opens and immediatly says could not connect to host linux1 (port 901)

by the way i forgot to list system specs

pentium 4 2.0g

Mandrake 10.1 official

40g hdd

256meg ram

dvdrw

also should mention that i am relatively new to linux. tried mandrake back at 9.2 and sue to some recent problems with windows (i am a network admin for a small music store) i am fed up with windows.