Need harddrive partitioning help

Guest carl

well, i gave it a shot, i ran the mandrake live cd, it didn't come with qtparted, so i tried to install it and libparted, but i guess running a live cd is a read only file system. i tried fdisk and cfdisk, but couldn't really achieve what i wanted to, and rather than fumble around until i either got it or wiped my root partition, i'm just gonna run it as is for now. i plan on updating this thing in the near future anyways, only got an amd sempron 2600+ with an 80 gb hardrive, plan on moving up to a sempron 3700+ and 2 300 gb sata drives, and plan on trying out suse, fedora, and slackware, just to see what else is out there, but i'm sure i'll come back to my mandrake eventually! thanks for everyones help, i'll probably be running into more trouble so i'm sure i'll talk to you all again soon..........

Slax is a superb liveCD... you can customize it by just adding premade modules to the ISO image, and tune it the way you like. It doesn't get easier than that, IMO.

For a newbie, I would say that adding premade modules to an ISO might be quite a step. :D

For the record, I think MandrakeMove was an excellent choice, considering that is what this user was familiar with. For the more experienced, I still prefer Knoppix for older hardware and Kanotix for state of the art hardware.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

For a newbie, I would say that adding premade modules to an ISO might be quite a step. :D

How to modify SLAX ISO

Copy entire CD to harddisk. Then modify everything you need, add or remove files or modules. When done, start the following command to rebuild SLAX CD:

cd /your/slax/directory

./make_iso.sh /tmp/new-slax.iso

If you are working under windows, execute the following command instead:

cd c:\your\slax\directory

make_iso.bat c:\new-slax.iso

New bootable ISO will be created with all your modifications.

Sounds being easy, even for a total newbie... or not? :D

• 3 weeks later...

well, resizing the partition has become a moot point, i went ahead and formatted the whole thing, started having some screwy problems with it, all my fault, to be sure! the live cd is pretty cool though, if ever i need to use someone else's pc for a bit, i can use the cd to take my linux with me! again, thanks for everyone's help.