Gui login issues

ozzy34

Hi Guys,

Upgraded from 10.2 to 2006 and am unable to login at the GUI login prompt.

If I specify a user name / pwd and try and log on the screen flashes and I end up back at the login prompt! I know the user name / pwd are correct as if I try an use incoreect details I'm told they are wrong...

The only way I've found to get into linux is to boot into level 3, login at the command prompt and then do a startx.

Any ideas why the gui login doesnt work???

Cheers

If startx works, then the x server configuration is ok. It seems like a confoguration issue with kdm.

Upgrade tend to do this sort of thing. I suggest going to mcc and reconfiguring kdm from there. You could also use the kde control center (configure my desktop) in administration mode to reconfigure. All this will do is re-write the configuration file.

Chances are it's because of a conf file not being updated. Try this:

su (supply root password when prompted)
updatedb
slocate kdmrc.conf

chances are it will list two, kdmrc.conf and kdmrc.conf.rpmnew. Replace the kdmrc.conf with the kdmrc.conf.rpmnew and it should resolve your problem.

Upgrades have a tendency of not replacing the old files with the new ones, and there could be others that may or may not cause problems like this one.