RealPlayer

satelliteuser083

I've noticed that, in MCC/System/Services, Alsa is stopped. Its "On Boot" box is checked and when I click on "Start" the message 'Alsa isn't running' appears. Could this be connected to this problem of no sound in RealPlayer, or is it irrelevant? BTW, can anyone say what 'artsdsp' and 'aRts' are; saw them in a KDE Bug Tracking thread. Thanks.

Thanks, Ian, that's what I suspected. Interestingly enough, the volume control on RealPlayer works on the sound-system generally - I tested this by reading from an unmounted device, to generate the warning "smash" - but the sound has been cut off from the speakers. Excuse my daft way of expressing this situation :huh: .

A further request: the plugindoc.mozdev.org site recommends the following "Make sure a symbolic link to the realplay script is in your PATH", but I don't know how to go about this. Could you give me a tip? Thanks.

It should be in your path already. If you sit in your home directory and just type "realplay", it should find it automatically in /usr/bin/realplay.

I'm assuming you installed the rpm, so chances are this parameter will be set already, so nothing to worry about.

Yes, you're correct on both points, Thanks.

Edit: Back again, I'm afraid, and I'm clutching at straws now. The plugindoc.mozdev.org site says that the environment variable MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH should exist, but I can't find it on MY system (by typing "env" in a konsole; hope that's correct). How do I go about creating this variable? I've tried "env MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox-1.0.2/plugins" in a root-konsole, but that didn't achieve anything, probably the wrong command :unsure: . "man env" didn't help me much, either.

Edited by satelliteuser083

I reckon that my LE2005 installation must be BROKE (or perhaps my KDE?) :wall: . I've just been through the entire installation-procedure as described by *papaschtroumpf* on May 1 2005 in the thread "Realplayer 10 problems" (mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=24521&st=0), and RealPlayer STILL doesn't work properly. The only improvement is that the video is now smooth, but there's still no sound.

Strangely, I wasn't able to find RealPlayer in the menu-system (I had to start it from a konsole), nor was I able start any kind of setup utility - the only configuration-function seems to be in the app under Tools/Preferences but I can't figure out any of the sound stuff (sighhh).

Back again, with the interminable :huh2: no-sound saga in Firefox

I've just been running the BBC clip 'ClimateChange' in Suse10.0 (with Firefox, ver. 1.0.6), and it runs well with mplayer - both video AND sound. In LE2005 I have the following situation: Firefox is ver 1.0.2, the site uses RealPlayer (not mplayer) and there is video but no sound.

Could the sound problem be associated with the different FF version? If not, is it possible to FORCE Firefox to use mplayer (if so, how do I do it?). I've tried "about:plugins" and the answer was:

QuickTime Plug-in 6.0, Windows Media Player Plugin are supported by mplayerplug-in

File name: mplayerplug-in.so

mplayerplug-in 2.80

so it looks as though the mplayer plugin is installed in FF.

I'd very much like to crack this problem in mandy (I want to participate in the Climate-change experiment, meaning many hours spent in the OS), otherwise I'll be forced to "desert" to Suse. :o

BTW; ClimateChange doesn't work in 2006, either

All inputs gratefully accepted.

Edited by satelliteuser083

• 2 weeks later...

You must install RealPlayer10xxx.bin in a directory i.e. /home/apps/Realplayer . then you must copy the files nphelix.xpt and nphelix.so in the mozilla plugins directory like .mozilla/plugins and then you must make a symbolic link to the player in the directory /usr/bin

For make this : go to /usr/bin and type (in root mode) ln -s /home/apps/RealPlayer/realplayer or the directory which you install the realplayer

with this all work fine. :D :thumbs:

Many thanks, Guix; I did as you suggested but, sadly, it didn't work :huh: . I HAVE noticed something (else) which is interesting, though; when I start the ClimateChange film (from the BBC site), it's jerky. It runs for about a second, stops for about a second, then continues for about a second, etc. If I terminate the film, start Amarok and then restart the film, the latter runs without the jerkiness. There's no sound in either case, though. :sad:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back again with the problem of no sound in Firefox; my apologies. :huh:

As already mentioned, everything works in Suse-10.0 (using mplayerplug-in); "about:plugins" in Suse Firefox reveals that mplayerplug-in is installed.

"about:plugins" in my LE2005 Firefox, however, reveals that mplayerplug-in is NOT installed. Via a couple of links I arrived at the information:

mplayerplug-in

Version: 2.80 (Mozilla 1.7: Untested, Firefox 1.0: Untested)

1. Extract source.

2. Run ./configure.

3. Run make.

4. Copy mplayerplug-in.so to your Mozilla plugins folder, and mplayerplug-in.xpt to your Mozilla components folder.

Note: If you are not using a build of Mozilla compiled with GTK2 support, you will need to run configure with --enable-gtk1. For more information, see the download page.

Homepage mplayerplug-in Home

So I went to "mplayerplug-in Home" and downloaded "mplayerplug-in-3.25.tar.gz". So far, so good.

A few questions, though, before I proceed (and possibly ruin my set-up). Presumeably the 3.25 in the .tar.gz is the version number, which clearly doesn't match that of the 'information' above; is this important, or can I just go ahead and follow the instructions anyway? Also, I don't exactly know how to deal with the .ta.gz file, not having used one before. Could someone give me a helping hand?

I think my version of Firefox is 1.0.2, although "About Mozilla-Firefox" reveals "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050317 Firefox/1.0.4", so perhaps it's 1.0.4. Does this version have the GTK2 support metioned above?

All a bit confusing, I'm afraid. :unsure: Thanks, anyway, for looking.