RealPlayer

satelliteuser083

I want to listen to BBC Radio4, which requires RealPlayer. So, I downloaded RealPlayer10GOLD.bin, placed it in /home/lawrence/.mozilla/plugins, terminated and then restarted firefox. But I still can't get any sound, so I've clearly done something wrong. I've checked in KDE's desktop config tool at the sound section; 'Run with highest priority' and 'Auto-suspend after 60 seconds' are both selected. From another thread it looks as though setting up a symbolic link is needed, but that's something I could do with some help with. Sorry if this is a bit tedious :huh: ; any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, ths sound system DOES work, tested it in KDE's config tool

Edited by satelliteuser083

There is an rpm download you need to install, and then you will be fine. A .bin file is normally installed with the following:

chmod filename.bin
./filename.bin

it's normally not just a case of copying it in place. Your best bet is the rpm download, which you can find on the realplayer website here:

http://www.real.com/linux/?pageid=linuxHom...alhome_linux_bb

and underneath the download button, there is a download rpm text to click.

Thanks, Ian, have got the .rpm but still don't know quite what to do with it (am very chary about installing packages after a few crashes :unsure: ). Is it a case of simply double-clicking on the file (that sounds tooo easy)? The installation instructions from Helix sound pretty easy(using the .bin), why is that not such a good method?

Yes, you can double-click it will then ask you for the root password to install it. I tend to prefer installing rpm packages, than running scripts to install things, because sometimes, you can't remove the packages again easily enough.

With rpm/urpmi once you've installed the package, it can be easily removed using urpme packagename.

Well, I did as you said and double-clicked the file; after my entering the root-password, the system went through an installation and ended with 'Done'. I then restarted FF and selected the programme which I wanted to hear; the BBC Radio Player now tells me that "Additional plugins are required...." with an 'Install Missing Plugins' button. I click this, select RealPlayer 10.5 in the plugin list (list of one), click Next. FF tells me that it is installing, but with an empty progress-bar, and after waiting about a minute I click Next. FF then says "Firefox finished installing..., RealPlayer 10.5, Not Available", with a 'Manual Install' button. If I click this, the whole download procedure is repeated. I hope this makes sense and I'm sorry to be such a pain, but it certainly beats me.

BTW, just to be certain, I have just removed RealPlayer using urpme, as you mentioned, then repeated the installation; sadly, no difference.

Did you run realplay from a command prompt to configure realplayer? It runs through a load of config stuff which most likely will sort you out.

I'm just downloading realplayer again now. I've used it before and it worked straightaway.

I currently have mplayerplugin installed which if I click play the realmedia link on the BBC4 Radio page it attempts to play it. Unfortunately I'm at work and I think they have the ports closed off which is why I can't hear anything. I'm also installing the helixplayer stuff now to see if this will work instead of realplayer. If not, then I'll install realplayer and update shortly.

OK, none of the helixplayer stuff works, but there was the helixplayer-mozilla-plugin, but it wanted to install the mozilla browser, so I've not chosen this, although it could effectively work, since Firefox would use the same plugins directory. So maybe you can try this.

Anyway, so I installed realplayer instead using the rpm. I then, as a regular user typed "realplay" in a console window and then configured what popped up. Then realplayer appeared in a window on it's own. I closed this, and then went to the BBC4 website, and clicked the Listen Live button. This then launched another window. Before, this told me about a plugin problem, when I didn't have realplayer installed. But now, the plugin error isn't appearing.

And the reason I think I can't listen is because I believe the ports for realplayer to be closed off. So if realplayer isn't working for you, or you've not done the same as me, then follow the same procedure I've just done for realplayer and see how you get on. If it's still failing, remove realplayer and then try using the helixplayer stuff with the mozilla plugin or install mplayerplugin.

[ian@europa ~]$ urpmf --name helix
helixplayer-real-codecs:helixplayer-real-codecs-1.0.5-1plf.i586.rpm
helixplayer:helixplayer-1.0.5-1mdk.i586.rpm
helixplayer-helix-codecs:helixplayer-helix-codecs-1.0.5-1mdk.i586.rpm
helixplayer-mozilla-plugin:helixplayer-mozilla-plugin-1.0.5-1mdk.i586.rpm

[ian@europa ~]$ urpmf --name mplayerplugin
mplayerplugin:mplayerplugin-3.11-1mdk.i586.rpm

the options you need for helixplayer are helixplayer, helixplayer-real-codecs and helixplayer-mozilla-plugin. Maybe that will work instead, but as I said, it will attempt to install the mozilla browser, which in itself isn't a real problem. Excuse the pun ahem :P

On running realplay in a normal konsole I get the following message:

"/usr/local/RealPlayer/realplay.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

The following libstdc++ packages are installed on my system (LE2005):

libstdc++6-3.4.3-7mdk

libstdc++6-devel-3.4.3-7mdk

On the distro-DVD (and the mirror-sources??) are the following

libstdc++2.10-2.96-0.83mdk

libstdc++2.10-devel-2.96-0.83mdk

libstdc++5-3.3.4-4mdk

libstdc++5-devel-3.3.4-4mdk

libstdc++5-static-devel-3.3.4-4mdk

libstdc++6-static-devel-3.4.3-7mdk

Couldn't find anything, on or off the system, resembling so.5. :unsure:

I also tried:

[root@localhost ~]# urpmf --name mplayerplugin

mplayerplugin:mplayerplugin-2.80-2mdk.i586.rpm

Guest flummoxed

Satelliteuser,

you need to install libstd++5-3.3.4mdk which contains listdc++.so.5

Installation Instructions (from real.com)

- Ensure that the .bin file you downloaded is executable. You can make the .bin file executable by running the "chmod a+x RealPlayer10GOLD.bin" command from a terminal window.

- Run the .bin file by typing "./RealPlayer10GOLD.bin". Follow the prompts provided to finish installing the player.

- When you launch the player for the first time, a set-up assistant will take you through configuring your player.

Hope this helps

Thanks, flummoxed, I installed the package as you suggested and realplay started its configuration process. I noticed that 'Check for updates' and 'Configure mozilla helpers' were (already) selected; when I clicked OK, konqueror displayed the Helix-Community page and, then, the message "Your player is up to date". Unfortunately, there still seems to be something missing, because while konqueror was running, the following messages (yes, two) appeared in the konsole.

[lawrence@localhost personal]$ realplay

konqueror: ERROR: Error in BrowserExtension::actionSlotMap(), unknown action : searchProvider

konqueror: ERROR: Error in BrowserExtension::actionSlotMap(), unknown action : searchProvider

and the konsole process hung up. A ctrl-C terminated it, which also caused the RealPlayer window to close. Quite strange.

Edit: It's just occurred to me that Firefox is probably not my default browser - why else would the installation process have started konqueror - which may account for the above error-messages. If this IS the case, how would I make FF the default?

Thanks, Ian. Could you explain why you get

mplayerplugin:mplayerplugin-3.11-1mdk.i586.rpm with 'urpmf', whereas I get

mplayerplugin:mplayerplugin-2.80-2mdk.i586.rpm.

I thought that 'urpmf --name' just gives a list of available packages, have I misunderstood this? Or does it just mean that I have to select different repositories (mine are Bayreuth and Netherlands)? I don't want to install an old version if that can be avoided.

I just typed "realplay" at the prompt not realplay.bin. I installed the realplayer rpm file not the bin file.

I'm using Mandriva 2006, so if you're using the same your repositories could be out of date. Use the easyurpmi link above to add them, or if using LE2005 then it could be that LE2005 has a different version.

I just typed "realplay" at the prompt not realplay.bin. I installed the realplayer rpm file not the bin file.

I'm using Mandriva 2006, so if you're using the same your repositories could be out of date. Use the easyurpmi link above to add them, or if using LE2005 then it could be that LE2005 has a different version.

Yes, I'm using LE2005, which would probably explain the difference in versions. I'll try mplayerplugin-2.80. And, harking back to my previous reply, could you tell me how to make FF my default browser?

Sure, if using KDE, System/Configuration/Configure Your Desktop/Components/Component Chooser/Web Browser

You can then specify the path to the browser of your choice. For me in 2006, the default setting launches Firefox, but I'm using the Firefox rpm. Otherwise, point to wherever firefox is installed and then firefox. Eg:

/usr/local/firefox/firefox

the first firefox being the directory, and the second the appname.

If gnome, then you can do it in gnome-default-applications-properties and set it there. See this post on my webpage for more info on this:

http://www.buziaks.com/ian/firefoxdefault.htm

this was originally written for Mandrake 10.1 and I've not updated yet, but still applies in certain circumstances.

Thanks about setting default, haven't been able to check that it works yet but assume it's OK,

We seem to be approaching lift-off ;) . The BBC has a pretty helpful site @ http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/audiohelp_nix.shtml, attempting to assist linux-users to get RealPlayer working. I've tried many of the tips, and the process IS improving because FF doesn't advise me any more that Realplayer needs to be installed, although there's still no sound. Something (presumeably RealPlayer) IS running because I can start and pause it. Some of the things that I still can't do are:

- (BBC text): One user has said that when running on a non-root area, disabling artsd got it working [don't know how to disable; I tried "disable artsd" but the system keeps asking for my user password and then ignoring my input]

- One user has said that using the command artsdsp /usr/bin/realplay got it working [i tried this and got 'Warning: LD_PRELOAD="/lib/libdl.so.2"'; can't find "libdl" on or off the system]

- One user found using the command "ln -s /home/me/applications/RealPlayer10/realplay /usr/bin/realplay" got it working [there is no folder "/home/me/applications/RealPlayer10/" on my system; do I have to create it, or is its non-existence a possible reason for RealPlayer not working?]

Any further help would be gratefully accepted.

Edit: GREAT news :P I've just gone to the BBC's site "ClimateChange" and am able to run the short film: How to install. There's no sound and the replay is a bit jerky, but that's a massive step.